OS_Dad Island Flock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OSDad, Nov 14, 2016.

1. OSDad

OSDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    Our current status is 2 cockerels and 10 hens. we harvested the other 8 cockerels and they currently reside in the freezer.

The hens are a mix of 1 Easter egger, 2 barred rocks 2 Chanteclers nd 5 production reds, listed oldest to youngest. All are about 16-23 weeks old.

Still no eggs, We look every day in anticipation.

The weather is dropping to 0 degrees Celsius over night going to 10-15 degrees during the day.

They free range the yard for at least a few hours at the end of the day.

I have moved their feeders inside and am in the works of working on hopefully an ice free waterer.

I guess Im looking for the "No worries, you'll get that fist egg any day"speech! LOL

Thanks for listening

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No worries - sorry, I couldn't resist.

Temperature has very little to do with egg laying. Things like nutrition, breed, housing and stress aside, onset of lay is strictly a function of day length and whether it is getting shorter or longer.
    Birds approaching POL this time of year will take much longer to commence.

Here's an article I posted about how photoperiod affects egg laying and reproduction in general.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chooks-and-many-many-more/11180#post_17735882

I did a survey of egg production of 4 flocks from December through March in a spreadsheet by flock with daily temps and humidity. There was no correlation between temperature and production. It may have been a small sample size but if anything, the production was better during colder spells.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    An advantage of delayed onset of lay is that their bodies are more developed and have fewer problems.
    Another is that their first eggs are larger. I have three 28 week old pullets that started laying last week.
    Normally when this breed starts to lay at about 22 weeks, their eggs are around 45-50 grams.
    I got 3 eggs today that were 57, 59 and 70 grams. The 70 gram egg is that bird's third and her first two were about 60 or so.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

5. OSDad

OSDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    [​IMG]
    This is Peep, he would be about 20 weeks old now. He's going to have some beautiful colouring.

6. OSDad

OSDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    [​IMG]
    This is Buddy, he's the main man. He would be right around 24 weeks old.

7. OSDad

OSDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    [​IMG]
    This is Joy, she's our only Easter egger pullet. She would be right around 24 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by