OSB ok to use for inner walls of coop? Inner coop wall ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noahsmom, Jan 31, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    As you can see from the pictures below the exising walls of our coop are flimsy and not so strong. I believe we need to fully cover them with something. Would OSB be ok for this purpose? Also, I know OSB sitting right on the ground will more than likely make it's life usage not last so long, is their something I can do so it won't have to sit right on the ground? I thought of something weird and I am not good at coming up with great ideas when it comes to any sort of building plans but could I go around the bottom with buried concrete blocks, run an apron of wire under the blocks across the floor from block-block with dirt over top the wire and then set each piece of OSB on these concrete blocks and attach them to the existing frame? Does that sound weird or make sense?
    Any other ideas?

What would you personally do to these walls to make the inside of your coop predator proof? Some parts of the wall is pretty thin, I could very easily hit it not so hard with a hammer and it would go through, so something needs to be done for their warmth and safety.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    if your wanting to save money, it might be some work, but how about just collecting "free pallets" and use the pieces of wood to basically insulate the inside of what you have? Look under the Coop sections there are some unbelieveably nice coops made from just the wood of pallets..It's free wood, and not OSB so would probably last longer as well. Just a crazy idea to:)
    Diane

3. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky

Diane,

That is a good idea! But I'm just really wanted to get started ASAP (now :) ) and trying to call around/email around to find free or cheap wood would just be more of a pain. I am wanting to cut costs where I can though, I guess with that comes patience.

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    Look on Craigslist, under things like "general", "farm and garden" and "materials"...I see alot of 'free' lumber/pallets.. You can check around at places like appliance stores...I just got some really good HUGE pallets from an appliance store..Any "company", around, they usually just chuck them out back:)
    Have fun!

5. katoranger

katoranger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Altamont, KS
    I get free pallets from ACE hardware. Pick them up by the trailer load. The idea of the blocks and OSB should work too. If it was me. I would use some pallets stacked on top of the blocks and the just screw them to the existing walls. This should give you alot of added strength.

I like to use exterior deck screws with the torx drive. They don't strip easily. Most cordless drills will screw them in too. Available at ACE hardware when you get your free pallets. It is usually a matter of just asking a manager.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I lined one pen in our barn with OSB. Very nice. The work goes fast. I held it in place with a few hits from the tacker gun then I used a rust resistant screw and screw gun. I hit a sale at HD or Menards and paid $7 a sheet. It was 7/16 which is plenty, plenty strong enough. Perhaps 3/8 would work just as well and even save some bucks. I just don't see 3/8 around here very often.

For sure? The 1/4" product is far too fragile for paneling a pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by