Ostracized Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FlyRobinFly, Oct 31, 2011.

1. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    What is the best way to handle chickens who are being picked on? My girls were raised together from chicks but recently everyone started chasing, pecking and beating up on the Welsummer. She is definitely submissive, if I just brush her back she immediately squats and acts as though I'm a rooster. I hand fed and watered her to make sure she was getting enough to eat, but when I found her so thin that her breastbone was easily felt and her comb was bloody from attacks, I separated her and she has been living in a crate next to the main coop where they can see each other but she is safe from harassment.

I will be moving the flock into their newly built coop for the winter and was wondering if I should try to reintegrate them all into this new territory, or if that is a bad idea since she is outnumbered and the beatings would continue. Would it be better to try to find her a new home where she is an only chicken or living with just another? I am not sure if I should let Nature take its course or if there is something I can do.

Am new to hen keeping so all advice and suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! [​IMG]

Robin

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm no expert, but I've never had birds do that unless the were injured or weak. Maybe she is sick. Even when introducing chicks this has never happened, more then a warning peck as to who is at the top.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know the answer. That is why I have 3 hens living in my backyard with my boy goats and guinea's. They all get along fantastic. And [​IMG] from Ga

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Find out who is the one that is getting this going, and pull her out instead of the one getting picked on. One of them is getting it all started. They didn't just all decide one day "Hey, lets pick on Blossom!" That'll make Ms. Mean Butt last in pecking order if you put her in chicken jail for at least a week and give Ms. PickedOn a break.

5. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:X2! That's great advice.

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Be careful that they are not keeping her away from food and water.
    That happened to one of mine when she was being bullied by my RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by