Ostracized Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tom NJ, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Tom NJ

Tom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    So, tonight I went out to put the flock to bed when I found one of my hens sitting outside the coop with the rest of the flock hanging out inside. Usually when I come around the pen the hens all run into the coop and they are all in by dusk. This is a flock I inherited and they are not very social. Anyway, I tried corralling her into the coop and she would have nothing to do with it. So, I picked her up, which she would never have allowed any other time, and placed her in the coop. The rooster immediately began attacking her and pecking her in the head. He drove her back out the door after he pushed her around the coop. She then found a spot and sat down outside the coop. So, I picked her up and placed her back in the coop over by the rest of the hens. The rooster did not attack her this time, but she didn't mingle with the flock. They staid in an opposite corner and she just kept spinning around in a circle like a dog might do when settling down for the night. I watched for several minutes and then locked them up.

Will chickens ostracize a member of the flock that is ill? She was behaving oddly.

Thanks for the input.

Tom

2. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    we are going through this right now with one of our hens. she was the last to molt and is at the bottom of the pecking order. only ours is usually run into the coop and the others stay out. and at night i think she stays in the nest box. this has been going on for a about a week or so but today things seemed better.

just make sure she is able to eat and drink.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Tom NJ what breed of chicken are you talking about? I know Silkies can get brain damage from being pecked in the head and what you described sounds like it, you better seperate her from the rest of the flock before they kill her.

4. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    Quote:She's a Barred Rock. I didn't want to put her back in the coop tonight, but I had no where else to put her. And, I could hear a coon or possum coming down a tree very near the coop when I was out there, so I didn't want to chance leaving her out either.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No not a good idea to leave her out, a large box or dog crate would work well also a large plastic tote, bathtub, just a few things you could use, hopefully she'll be okay in the morning. If one is sick they will pick on it and drive it away or kill it. So something else maybe going on with this hen. if you can place her where you can watch her you might see other symptoms as well.

6. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    Quote:Thanks. We shall see what morning brings.

By the way, what type of chicken is that in your avatar? I have a hen that looks like that but don't know what type of bird she is. There are two of them that I don't know which type they are.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She's a light Brahma, they are sweet birds and lay nice brown eggs too!... sorry forgot to say [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  8. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    So, at this point it appears that the hen may have gone blind. I had moved her out of the coop and into a rabbit hutch, so she didn't get picked on or infect any of the others. She generally sits in one spot and moves her head in a slow motion from one side to the other. And, if I walk up to her she doesn't look at me, unless I make some noise and then only for a second. If I make any sudden, jerky moves she doesn't flinch at all, regardless of how close I am. I am not sure how this happened, as both of her eyes look normal to me.

I did notice about a week or so ago that she wasn't coming out of the coop to get any treats. Usually she would dart out past the rooster and be the first one at the gate to get whatever I was tossing.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I found this on google:
    Eye Symptoms
    # Chickens that suddenly go blind may have a case of avian pox, a viral disease that affects many species of birds. Aspergillosis can also result in blindness, and chickens diagnosed with this deadly fungal disease will also develop lung infections. Chickens that have large, swollen eyes may have mycoplasmosis, another bacterial-related illness (also called sinusitis).
    Jewelry/Making Swap
    "Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you there, lurking on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's all right. You are forgiven."
    Report | Quote
    #6 05/14/2010 4:05 pm
    For-The-Love-Of-Chickens
    Chillin' With My Peeps

PM
    Re: Still need help - sudden blindness in hen(s)
    Ocular Marek's disease is also something I would do some research on, especially if it is spreading to your other hens. There is quite a bit of good info here in the BYC archives.

HTH!
    Our chicken eggs are worth about $25 a piece.
    RIP Spud. You will be missed! 3-15-09 to 5-7-10

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by