Ostrasized Guinea

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by LazyGirl, May 1, 2008.

1. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I have a guinea problem! I have 5 adult guineas that have been together for a year and have gotten along fine up til last week. I finally figured out that I have 3 hens and 2 males. Well, the aggressive male suddenly started picking on the other one, and drives it to fly over the fence every day. The girls cry for it and it wants to get back in. All week i have been letting it back in only for it to get chased out again. It seems very sad now! [​IMG] He just sits in the grass all day, and I don't think he is eating. He is allowed to roost with them at night, but they chase him out again first thing.
    I'm wondering if this is a spring male domination thing or if there is something wrong with him??? They are all 1 yr old.

2. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I have a royal purple male thats on the outs this year.But then again it depends on the day,yesterday it was the powder blue male. It's just the time of year. Just make sure to put food out in different areas so that he can get a bite to eat and drink.

3. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    Thanks!
    Where in WY are you? We lived in Laramie for 5 years. We MISS IT!!!!!

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    thats normal just like 2 roos fighting tobe top roo.the guins do the samething.

5. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    Does anyone know if this will end happily or will the guinea die? He has been getting forced out of the fence for over a week now! I am feeding and watering him outside, but the other guinea isn't letting up on him.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Can you let them free range? If so, let a female out to be with the male, and keep the other trio locked up. Or just let them all free range. We have a trio, and there is a female that gets picked on by the others. She does just fine with the chickens.

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I also have three Guinea hens and 2 roosters that are one year old. I have noticed them pairing off, except one male has two women :| They free range so, I havent seen any problems between the two roosters except, the guy w/one hen doesnt like the one guy w/two getting too close to his woman.

8. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    They are in a very large fenced area (1/2 acre), so basically free range. They got along fine all year until last week. Maybe there is something wrong with this one? Guineas...who knows![​IMG]

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I think it's cute how this old thread is in the ostrich, rhea, and emu section. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by