Ostrich breeders

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by mgill87, Sep 3, 2017.

1. mgill87

mgill87 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    Hi everyone. My husband and I gained a huge interest in ostriches and have researched them a lotttt online. We've decided to go ahead and purchase a pair or chicks. But... we've had no luck finding any.
    We're from Nebraska so it's been extra hard finding ostrich farms around here. Everyone directs us to the American Ostrich Association page, but I've called mostly all their numbers and no answers or they're not selling... Can anyone help me out? I'd greatly appreciate it! We don't mind if they're chicks or a breeder pair.

blackdust951 and black_dove2 like this.
  2. black_dove2

black_dove2 Songster

Is it possible for you to visit an ostrich farm? Introduce yourselves. Ask about shows, etc.

I'm sure some are tired of influx of calls every time videos come out on the news. They wouldn't know you from Adam. I think introducing yourself to the community and asking questions direct will help you to be taken seriously and this is not just a passing fancy .

3. mgill87

mgill87 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    The farms are in different states, many many hours away. The ostrich community does seem very nice and welcoming seeing as the ones who care to talk are very encouraging. I don't think it has much to do with them thinking it's a passing fancy, it's just them wanting to expand their farms, which I completely understand. Hence why I'm just asking if there's anyone here who would sell an ostrich or two :) if there were any ostrich farms near me I'd definitely be visiting one. The closest one never answers haha so I don't want to randomly drop by..

black_dove2 likes this.
  4. black_dove2

black_dove2 Songster

I understand.
    I'm sure as the day goes on you'll receive more responses.

Welcome to BYC everything chicken and other fowl. There are the most informative articles and threads with links.

Edited to remove the obvious, you are already in the other fowl!

5. mgill87

mgill87 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    Thank you for the welcome! Glad to be here and share my experiences :)

black_dove2 likes this.
  6. black_dove2

black_dove2 Songster

For ostriches a chicken coop doesn't work. A stable or barn?

Share please what's your planning for the setup?

7. 86Camelot

86Camelot Hatching

Sep 3, 2017

Please contact me ASAP. I am from Colo and putting together an ostrich deal. 970-630-2761

black_dove2 likes this.
  8. black_dove2

black_dove2 Songster

Well there you go!!! Good Luck!

9. mgill87

mgill87 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    Thanks all for your help! I've finally found someone from Texas who will be selling me two chicks :)

black_dove2 likes this.
  10. mgill87

mgill87 Hatching

Sep 3, 2017
    As for an ostrich pen, we have a makeshift one set up for when they arrive since it was sooner than expected. But with a couple days of hardwork we will be setting up posts and putting up 6ft fencing at an extra stable we had for cows originally. We will be making it as oval and long as possible since I've read that during mating season males can possibly kill the female in the corner of their pens. We won't be having any mating going on since they will only be 3 months old, but we just want to be on the safe side :)

black_dove2 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: