Ostriches, Emus, Cassowaries, Rheas, and . . . Kiwis!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Supreme Emu, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Found this on the Net, readers.

‘Aepyornis, the 'elephant bird' of Madagascar was the largest bird ever known. Although shorter than the tallest moa, a large one could weigh 450 kilograms. There were two species when humans arrived from Borneo and Africa, probably in the 1st Century AD. Both seem to have survived for a time: the smaller Aepyornis mullerornis probably disappearing first, the giant Aepyornis maximus may have existed until as late as 1600.’

So, I’ll hear no more complaints about food or vet’s bills. Aepyornis
    Maximus weighed over THREE times what an ostrich does. No height is given in the article – guesses anyone?

And we’ll have to get on the moderator’s case, and have this section renamed: ‘Ostriches, Emus, Cassowaries, Rheas, and Kiwis.’ HAS a kiwi owner ever turned up on BYC?

Supreme Emu

2. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That would be cool! [​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I believe there is someone on BYC that has a kiwi bird ,seems like i read about it and i think their avatar is a kiwi also.

4. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    There arent any Kiwi's in private hands, and if im correct, there are only a handful of zoos in the US that has them. They are illegal to have, sell, or transport, and are extremely difficult to care for. I wanted some myself, and did the research.

5. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Nope ,no one at all has a Kiwi.

There are zero in private hands of anyone in the U.S. as far as anyone is concerned.

Also I hate to sound like a huge arse ,but adding such a section on keeping for such a rare ,advanced keeping bird to the forum is rather insulting. 95% of people know little more of bird care outside of domestic fowl ,and some not even to that extent ,however some seem to like acting like they do know something about wildfowl. [​IMG]

Sorry ,its a topic that I`m very...passionate over. [​IMG]

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by