OT-Satellite internet???

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Hey yall, do any of yall have that??
I have Dishnetwork out here for TV but soon they will offer satellite internet thru Wildblue.
woot.gif
woot.gif
I believe all we gotta pay is 200.00 to get the equipment.
My computer is able to run at high speed so that's no problem. I'm sooo ready to step into the 21st. century, LOL.
Thanks yall, Miriam

I have hughesnet. It use to be Direcway. Its awesome. I homeschool my kids and run my DH business on them. We have 3 pcs on at all times and they run very fast. Its like turning a page in a book. It should be about the same. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
I have direct tv and tried their hughes net for the internet it was terrible. It downloaded stuff great but as far as the regular surfing the net it was no faster then my dial up. I had a new computer too so I was mad. They charged me to install a pole mount $125. Then $200 to install it and then when I cancelled it they charged me $400. That they said covered the box & dish. After I mailed it back they would give me a refund. It took almost 3 months! Make sure to read the fine print I will never do that again. I'm waiting for sprint to bring dsl to my street. It stops about 1/2 mile from my house! I've been waiting 6 years for them to go that extra 1/2 mile so I'm stuck with dial up.

I have hughsnet also. My company pays for it or I'd be pretty po'd about the performance. I think it was $800 to install and it's $70 a month. Sometimes it works pretty well and other times it's just barely faster then dial up. There are things that I just could not do at all on dial up, like on line webinars and things that are importaint for my job (i work from home for a large computer company), so it was still a must. If you are going to use it direct, it works better then if you have to access another network thru a VPN, which is what I have to do when I'm working.

Hi Miriam,

If you are unable to get any other forms of high-speed (DSL from your phone company, or cable), it is probably your best bet. It's not as quick with uploading, but downloads should be a lot faster than dial-up. Good Luck & Welcome to the 21st!

Regards,
Joe

Come see us at
http://www.poultrybid.com !!

Hi Miriam,

I have Wildblue and it is great - when it works! Download speeds are pretty good....upload speed is pretty bad. Browsing can be very quick but at times is much slower than dial up. Overall, I have not been very satisfied with Wildblue at all.

There is a great forum where you can learn a lot about Wildblue and get info from people on your beam...to see if your area is slow or not. Go to http://www.wildblue.cc

Regards,

Jay
ZuniBee

Thanks yall for the good info.
smile.png

RChicks, I just went to wildblue.com, I went to that site you gave & it's a little different but the same company.
idunno.gif

I think at this point anything is better than what I have. My speeds vary from 14.4 kbps to a whopping 21.6 kbps !!!
th.gif
Then of course when MIL gets a call I have to get off the line.
roll.png

I've got Bellsouth or I guess now AT&T dial up.
eldorado, I'm not too computer savvy but can ya explain about the uploading why it's slower than downloading??? As most of yall know I live way out away from any major towns so getting DSL is not gonna happen anytime soon.
Miriam

I think the thing about "satellite" internet is this: You download via the dish, and upload via an ordinary phone line. My sister's ex-boyfriend had it. Not to mention, when the weather is bad, I think satellite reception is, too. So that would hinder a good experience.

Last edited:
With Wildblue you download and upload through the dish. Upload speeds are just slower. You are correct, during bad weather to the south of your location you will lose service. WildBlues problem is they had too many people on each satellite. On the weekends the service slows to a crawl. They have recently launched another satellite and service in some areas has improved....

Back
Top Bottom