Other Chickens Bullying the Polishes?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I've got 22 2.5-month old chickens. They were all supposed to be hens, but I think two, possibly three of them have turned out to be roosters.

Anyway, three of the hens are Polishes, - one is buff-laced and the other two are golden-laced. The buff is fine with the others. She holds her own and no one bothers her, even though she is very tiny. The golden-laced ones, however, seem to get picked on more. I've noticed one of them is missing a few tail feathers and is afraid to go for any food until the other ones have eaten. She hangs around the edges of their coop (which is a 10x16 building) and run. She tries to stay close to the other one or the super calm cochins when she does come out into the open. I thought the roosters may be doing the bullying, but it's actually my white rock hens.

I know they are establishing their pecking order and all of that and will continue to do so, and I know to keep an eye out for blood or extreme behaviors, but is there anything else I can do for this particular chicken? I plan to start free-ranging them next week, but they just moved to the new coop earlier this week, so I didn't want to let them out so soon. I know that will help, but I hate for her to keep getting bullied so much this weekend! Thanks!

I've noticed one of them is missing a few tail feathers and is afraid to go for any food until the other ones have eaten.
That is too much bullying.

Put out more feeders and waterers. Maybe 3 each.

Also toss in stuff for them to play with. Lawn clippings, hay, leaves, whatever, but a big pile of stuff.

Also, start to treat train them.

If they come when you call it will be MUCH easier to free range them.

If the bullying does not reduce, you might need to rehome the polish. Polish tend to be bullied if they are in the minority, especially if your square footage is tight.

Also, start to treat train them.

If they come when you call it will be MUCH easier to free range them.

If the bullying does not reduce, you might need to rehome the polish. Polish tend to be bullied if they are in the minority, especially if your square footage is tight.
Thanks for the tips. I'll add some more feeders tomorrow. I actually put a big plastic baby pool filled with dirt and sod inside the building today, and I sprinkled some sunflower seeds, oats, and shredded lettuce around so they'd have something to scratch around for. It was super nasty out today, so they stayed, well, cooped up, and the weather is going to be bad all weekend. Anyway, by the end of the day, she actually seemed a little happier and was moving away from the corners. They have a little window where they can look out and watch my ducks in their pen on the other side of the building, and she was actually doing that when I went to lock them up for the night.

I think if the bullying continues once they're free-ranging, I might build those three their own little pen. I can sneak up on them so easily, so I know a predator will. I hadn't even planned on getting those three, but my mom wanted a few to keep as pets, and sadly, she passed away right after we got them, so now they are stuck with me. But I'll take care of them, even if they do end up with their own little coop and run. They are pretty sweet birds, even if they aren't that useful. 😂 Thanks again!

I had a polish who was being bullied. I free ranged them and the bulling stoped like that *snap*
I really hope that's what happens! Though I am worried about the polishes free-ranging and predators. Thanks!

SAME!!!! My little Oddball seems to have such a hard time seeing 😬😥

Mine too! I can walk right up and pick them up, and it scares the heck out of them!
Might want to consider trimming their head puffs. I know it won't look as nice, but the fact that they have a hard time seeing past the feathers, plus the puffs looking unusual to other chickens, makes them more prone to being bullied by other chickens.

Might want to consider trimming their head puffs. I know it won't look as nice, but the fact that they have a hard time seeing past the feathers, plus the puffs looking unusual to other chickens, makes them more prone to being bullied by other chickens.
I will consider that as she gets older but she’s a pullet right now.
47E009EA-FC86-40AC-9012-CBD62334CF9B.jpeg
CAE98ABF-0AF0-4868-9B49-729E6F1E1AFE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom