Other chickens plucking polish crest?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shelly Chip, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Shelly Chip

Shelly Chip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    So I have a lonely only chick who was the only egg to hatch out of his clutch in the incubator.He sits snuggled up to his mirror all day and looks pretty pathetic. He is a bantam polish chick. I have the chance to pick up a couple mixed breed bantam chicks from a petting farm. They are almost 1 week old and my chick is a little over 2 weeks old. My question is, if I raise these other 2 non crested chicks with my crested polish chick, will they get used to his crest and leave it alone or will they still want to pull his crest out? Thanks!

2. chicketydooda

chicketydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    yours will probably do the picking. It will be larger and stronger but I think they would get used to eachother and it wouldn't be a problem after a few hours.

3. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Ok, that sounds good.

Shelly

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Maybe they will leave his crest alone. Sometimes Polish in mixed flocks have no problems especially given lots of space. Other times non crested birds delight in removing the crests of Polish.

5. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Well, I guess time will tell. If the mixed breeds pull out my polish crests than I will rehome them.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by