Other chicks are pecking the fluff off the head of my polish chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityChick02, May 6, 2011.

1. CityChick02

CityChick02 New Egg

May 6, 2011
    This morning when I went to check on my chicks (2 light brahmas, 2 buff orpintons, 1 americana, and 1 polish crested) my poor polish is bald! What can I do?? I had wondered if the others would pick on him/her, but the woman I got them from said that it would be fine, she kept them in with different breeds and had no problems...

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read about Polish being de-feathered by other breeds (on the head) quite a bit on BYC.

I would prepare to rehome the Polish, or get more Polish and have a second flock. I don't have any Polish, though, so I cannot tell you from experience.

I hope someone will be along to give you better advice...just my 2 cents.

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Get another polish or two. It usually helps to not have just one be the odd-man-out. Otherwise, yes, they will peck him bald :<

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    That is so sad [​IMG]
    We just got some in yesterday and they seem to be the biggies in the group.
    Can you keep Polish with Silkies and bantam BO?

Poor baby lost his/her mohawk...

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My three are in with a cuckoo marans, a barred rock and some silkies and all is fine. I put three sex links in there and had to take them back out as they attacked the polish heads. I guess it just depends on the birds.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have one with the same problem [​IMG] dh calls her friar tuck as she still has a ring of feathers. He is going to be making me a new pen for my "odd" bantam hens (w/c chocolate polish, dun quail d'anver, mille fleur d'anver) since they are too small to be with the lf they grew up with and seem to get picked on....what's another pen? [​IMG]

7. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My Light Brahma did the same thing to my Sultan girl the first 2 weeks, so I seperated them in the same brooder with a wire divider for about 3 days. Put them back together and they have been fine since as far as the pulling feathers out, but they still hate each other!!

8. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:We too are doing a similar thing.

We had 3 barred rock chicks and a few weeks later got 2 egg laying buff orpingtons. One of the older hens was being a bully, so we separated her for a week. We just reintroduced her, and it seems she is a little less aggressive (still watching them closely and have our fingers crossed).

9. CityChick02

CityChick02 New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Rehoming her is kind of what I figured [​IMG] I can't make another pen for her, and I've only got one heat lamp, they're not even 2 weeks old yet I don't think. I put pine shavings in so they've got something to kick around in, might distract them. I'm only allowed 4 hens where I live...and I've got my 4 in the yard, and these 6 inside (shhhhhh [​IMG]). My older ladies are going to live with my sister, so I'd be down to 6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by