Other chicks beat chick up *PICTURES ADDED*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahFair, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My chicks are about 5 weeks old and had been doing great. Last night I walked out to check on them and found 3 of them with bloody beaks. Then i saw the other huddled by the water....with his skull showing.
    From the front he looks normal but when you turn him about a finger and a half worth of skull his showing!
    He keeps his eyes closed but can open them.. He still peeps every now and again but he just mainly sits there with his head slummped forward taking long slow breaths.
    He made it through the night wich gives me SOME hope for the little guy (or girl!).
    What can I do for him?
    Why did the other chicks do this?!?

Ive been dipping his beak in water every now and again to make sure hes getting SOME fluids but hes not drinking or eating himself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hes chirping a little more than usual and I think he MIGHT be starting to drink a little on his own.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Poor baby. I don't have any answers for you. I hope he makes it.

Laurie

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thanks..
    Hes doing better...I think [​IMG]

He stays puffed up but is holding his head up a little more. Eyes still stayed closed but opens them a little more every time I check on him.

I have him in my bathroom with a heater running so its like 90 degrees in there

4. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
  5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thanks so much for the link!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by