1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

other hen pecking at eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Collins Chicks, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Collins Chicks

Collins Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    My Japanese hen is sitting on about 12 eggs now. My Silkie started going in and sitting with her, but would do it a couple of times. This morning I saw her in the box pecking at an egg that wasn't covered. It looks like she pecked a hole in the top. They are due to hatch for another week. I'm not sure if I need to try to move mama and the eggs or just watch. any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would move the silky to another pen.,

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Have you checked to see if there was a viable chick in there? Sometimes they peck dead ones or non fertile. If it'as not her brood then isolate her.

Also, maybe throw some vitamins in her water as it could be a sign of her trying to get something missing from her diet.

4. Collins Chicks

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    is it safe to move the mama hen and eggs to crate inside?

5. Collins Chicks

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    I don't have another pen but I could bring the broody hen and eggs inside.

6. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Do it at night when she will be disoriented. Then she will be waking up elsewhere, eggs intact.Be super gentle with the eggs. Move them first to the area while she sleeps, then transport her to avoid her suddenly standing and crushing or jostling eggs. Good luck!

7. Collins Chicks

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    When I got home from work and checked the eggs the one she was pecking at was going bad it like it never developed past the first week. She hasn't been in there since.

8. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Looks like she's just doing her job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by