Other Hen picking on Pullet - draws blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patricia A., Aug 11, 2010.

1. Patricia A.

Patricia A. Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    What can you put on a chicken's wound (small) to deter other chickens from continuing to peck the wound? I was thinking of making some sort of salve but I am not sure what would taste yucky without making another chicken sick - and of course not harm the little wound where the feather was pulled out. Any advice would be great.

Patricia

2. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    heard of something called "blue cote" it's this blue stuff you put on the hen thats picked n and it's supose to keep the other chickens from pecking on it. type "blue cote" in the text box in the corner and you can read more about it.

3. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 In the Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    ROOSTER BOOSTER Pick-No-More Lotion from the feed store has Coal Tar and Tea tree oil in an aloe base. Blue Kote works well too as an antiseptic and pick preventative. I don't know of a homemade solution.

Mark

4. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Songster

Mar 11, 2007
    It doesnt matter what you put on it..If you put the bird back in with the others..They will eat her. Chickens like their food spicy too, ya know. Seperate her from the flock, but some flour or corn starch on it. Or rooster booster or blue kote. Seperate her and keep an eye on her and she'll heal up fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: