Other people's attitudes toward chickens*Update* Another one

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I've been nursing a sick chick since yesterday and after today I can't help but wonder: what is WRONG with people?
I rescued a poor little 4-week-old chick that I found at a friend's house. He happily gave it to me after telling me the poor thing's been like that for a whole week. The chick had obvious difficulty breathing, but it didn't occur to the owner that it might be a good idea to ask someone for advice. His attitude is: "there are 12 more healthy chicks, so why should I care?"
I contacted a very nice vet I know and asked him to come have a look. He diagnosed a sinus infection that started spreading. So the struggle to find medicine started. I don't have anything suitable to give it. The vet started phoning some farmers in the area to see if any of them had a little bit of antibiotics to spare and they actually said to him "It's a chicken, let it die". Just like that.
We spent the whole morning making calls and nothing. I even contacted the old age home's sick bay to see if they can spare us a little bit of antibiotics, but NO. It's a chicken, who cares?
Then the previous owner came and said to me I'm spending too much energy on this chick and why do I make such a fuss over this little chicken?!!
My husband told him to shut up and watch what he says to me. He knows how much I love chickens, especially chicks.
I'm praying this little thing's going to hang in there 'till Monday when the vet's going to a bigger town where he can buy medicine.
I am completely stunned by those farmer's attitudes.
And I'm worried about the previous owner's other chickens. He came and dumped another newborn chick here today. Telling me it's not keeping up with the hen and the other chicks. So I pointed out to him that the poor thing's barely a day old and the other chicks were born 2 days ago, so OBVIOUSLY it's not going to as agile as it's siblings. It's still trying to find it's feet.
I've put it under a heat lamp with 4 other chicks and it's doing well.
Sorry about the rant, but I know you will understand.

Last edited:
GREAT JOB!!!!!!
cool.png

I totally loathe people's attitudes towards chickens. I have had chickens as pets for over 25 years. When I get a sick one or one dies I get the insensitve and uncaring junk........"It's only a chicken." That boils my blood to hear that.
sad.png

I hope your little chick lives gets well and lives a long life.

Last edited:
I have heard the same too. I had a sick baby chick. I nursed it over the weekend and took it to the vet on MOnday (this is a few months ago.) he gave it some antibiodics, told me to feed it some stage one baby food and keep it warm. He charged me zero. The poor little chick died a few hours after I got home.
I was so sad.
People think I am crazy to have spent the time, but I love my girls. They are calming in my crazy world.
You did the right thing.
I hope you find some medicine.

The farmer's attitude doesn't surprise me actually. They farm/ranch to make a living and it is not financially possible to invest large amounts of time/effort/money in an animal that isn't going to pay for itself. To do so on a regular basis would mean operating in the red. Sick but recoverable animals are treated but there's a limit to how much will be spent if the outlook's not good. So from their standpoint it's simple economic's which I can understand.

Now for myself, I'm just like you! I would have taken it and nursed it to see if I could get it going again. But I'm also the one that spends a lot of time in the spring picking up all the baby birds, tending them if needed, and getting them back in their nest or tree. I just did one this morning.

The "it's just a chicken" attitude really bother's me a lot. I'm not sure where we as humans get off devaluing a living thing because of it's size or perceived worth. Apparently to a lot of people smaller/no monetary value means it's ok to let it suffer. To me it doesn't matter how much was or wasn't paid for an animal, if it's mine I will take care of it.

Fish mox is pure amoxicillin and it is the same generic amoxil given at the pharmacy. I have used it on my cat for an absess and it worked better then the vets amoxicillin. You can buy it online or at pet stores. Just a thought.

Polyvisol vitamins without iron work wonders for sick chicks. Apple cider vinegar helps reduce sinus inflammation. I'm gals you took that poor chick in. I'd do the same! People tell me that I'm crazy and I put too much effort into my chickens. I do everything I can to keep them happy and healthy!

If your giving antibiotics, you chick needs probiotics. Probios is really good, but yogurt works too.

Back
Top Bottom