other peoples pets.... what would you do?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have a neighbour that lives a few hundred yards away. I have lived here for 5 years now and I still dont know their name... so we are not close at all.

a few weeks ago my daughter noticed the neghbours cat outside ALOT.. like all the time.

Friday evening my dogs were barking and whining insane, I went into the other room and here is this strange cat belonging to my neighbour standing in the hall looking at me [​IMG]
    My daughter said she thought he was our cat, and in her defense he looks exactly like our senior cat who never leaves my bedroom so I pick this cat up and he starts purring and licking and doing the whole cat thing pushing his head into my hand lovin the rubs

Saturday evening this cat is at my livingroom window meowing like mad to get in. It was cold and rainy so I caved because I noticed there was no lights on at the neighbours house.

When I see their car in the driveway I go over to ask if they are missing their cat and no one answers the door... I have left a message taped to the door and it was still there when I came in from work, I know they have been in and out of the house over the weekend because I have seen them.

So what gives?... I am thinking they have abandoned the cat... he is so cuddly, he is so affectionate, he looks clean ears are in great shape eyes are clear, poop looks normal, no fleas...

the only reason I let him in is because my cats are indoor/outdoor and I am sure if there was cooties to catch they would have done it by now... My animals all of them are current on their shots

do you think I should keep trying to get a hold of them?
    or just let him have free roam of my house too? (which I really dont mind) he gets along with my dogs and my cats.. he seems to have NO interest in going back outside though. I placed him outside on sunday morning after the rain stopped and he sat on my front porch.

the funny thing is he walks around like he is supposed to be here... sits on the couch like the other cats do and stretches out for a tummy rub [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd just let him flow in and out and wait for the neighbor to ask you if you've seen their cat. You can tell them that he sort of adopted your family and they are welcome to have him back but you don't mind if he visits.

3. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    i was getting mail one day and my cat decided to follow me to the mail box this person walks up to me gives me a weird look and asks if it my cat i say yes she said that cats goes to her house and hangs out there somtimes it tunrs out my cat has a couple of homes lol

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've gotten a couple of cats that way. Not that the neighbors abandoned them, they just adopted me. Now any pet lost in a 5 block radius and someone is knocking at my door, or calling to see if I have it. [​IMG]
    I say be nice to it.

Imp-BTW, the neighbors didn't mind.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would put one more note on their door, if they don't respond, let the cat stay with you.

6. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    If history is any indicator for me, the cat would eventually move in, be named, de-wormed, and when or if the owner came looking, I would say I haven't seen it. [​IMG]
    That is how I got my last five cats.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    There is something different about my neighbours... I dont want to say strange because I am the posterchild for strange.

they are an older couple about 70's

When my hens started laying... I walked over with free eggs... they said no thanks

we had a power outage for 12+ hours. we are on a well with an electric pump... I went over to see if everything was ok... I had a lot of bottled water .. they would not open the door, they spoke through the door and said they were fine

I think there is a custody arrangement with their grand daughter who is the same age as my son... I used to see them driving her to school every morning and picking her up, she went to my sons school but she was not allowed to take the bus with the other kids. It was a HOT day one summer and my son went over to ask if she wanted to go for a swim (we have a pool) she was not allowed.

My son said she no longer goes to his school and I have noticed she is not in the yard anymore... so I assume she went back to live with her mom

I am thinking.. maybe now that DGD is not there anymore they really dont want the cat.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    That could be the case- just too many things to take care of. Are you sure it's the neighbors and not just someone coming to take care of their house? I think taking the cat in and providing it a good home is a fair solution, if they come looking for the kitty then you can answer their questions but in the meantime you might be the only family that cat matters to.

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    yeah it was their cars... and their daughters.. that were coming and going all weekend and they are parked there now... I cant see if the note is still on the door....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by