Other PESTS ....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cabincrazyone, Dec 29, 2010.

1. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    I took a photo off the deck, into the back yard this morning. It could be titled "other pests and livestock". Our state (Minnesota), and that includes all the big cities, is overrun with Virginia Whitetail deer. They are called tall rats by some. I don't feel that way, but they can be pesty. They consider flower gardens to be salad buffets. Wild bird feeders are challenging snacks. Anyway I thought this all too common sight in the upper midwest might be a curiosity in other parts of the country.

[​IMG]

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    We have deer here too but do not see them that often. We hear the hunters often enough when deer season opens. lol

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Nice picture...Where are you located in MN?

4. cabincrazyone

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Quote:I'm from Duluth ... but I haven't admitted it yet. So here's the break out. Ha.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I enjoy seeing the pictures of deer in my moms yard,but they need to stay our of mine! Besides eating my yard I don't want a huge load of ticks.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Except for the snow, that could be my driveway. [​IMG]

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope hubby and boy wonder get that lucky in the shooting house today! Got about 45 pounds in the feezer now, but id like to top that up before the end of the season. Just had my lunch of venison spaghetti and I must say... I nailed that one. [​IMG]

8. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    How are you liking the weather? Its pouring here in St.Cloud. Minnesota winters suck! lol

9. cabincrazyone

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Quote:The weather's been goofy this season. (Goof is a good MN word.)
    Here in Duluth it's usually fairly mild before Christmas (above zero) and then the temp plummets to 20 below for the New Year's imbibers to run around in.
    But this year it was 37 above on NY Eve day, and it rained fairly hard that night. That was followed by a dusting of snow to hide the slippery spots, and today its 5 below at noon. Goofy.
    [​IMG]

10. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I really like the "tall rats" name. When I first moved to my current house (17 acres of rocky forest), the deer were "soooo cute". After 5 years of having them eat my hostas, holly bushes (holly stubs) and everything else, they're not so cute. We don't hunt but do let others hunt occasionally. We have a doe and 2 young ones that hang around and keep the birdfeeders emptied on a regular basis.

This summer, I was sitting outside and the doe marched right up the drive, went over to the feeders and just helped herself. Finally, when she started in on my perennials, I yelled at her and she moved along. Got some really cute pictures of the doe and babies eating out of the feeders this summer.

Although they're a pain in the rear, I'd rather deal with stubby flowers than traffic jams ANY DAY [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by