Other Pets???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittyariel, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kittyariel

kittyariel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    taft TN
    So how soon should I start introducing the babies to our other pets???

thanks a bunch!!![​IMG]

2. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Are you refering to other animals or other chickens?

My cat has seen the chicks since they came home. The cat is a wuss and runs from them![​IMG] I was keeping a screen on the brooder ( a large storage tote ), but she steers clear of the room now!

My 3 yr old son loves the chicks and I think he is more a danger to them than the cat! Three year olds just don't always get the whole "be gentile" thing!

I would introduce them only if you feel confident that your chicks will be safe when you are not around to supervise.

3. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Well, here is our experience with chick intros: Jackson the black lab LOVES our chicks. He guards them while I snuggle with them. Any of our 4 other large breed dogs - will gladly taste test the chicks for freshness. One of them actually had the chick in her mouth - but no harm was done, as she spit it out again. One of the other dogs was excited around the chicks and the prey drive started to kick in - but she was walluped with the nearest soft object and has never thought to look at a chick again. We have no cats. So, I guess the resident pets just need to know where they stand and that they need to respect the chicks you have brought into your home.

4. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I have always just let them see them from day one. This is the first time for my crib midget to see them and he is 15 months and the second for my bloodhound. Both of them just sit and watch by the cage for hours. When I take them out to handle I let the dogs and crib midget look, sniff or pet them then put them back. The older they get the more time everyone gets with them. My adult hens are the bloodhounds no doubt about it. Forget my pyrs nothing is gonna get near them without my bloodhounds okay first. As for my cats I have had in the past same thing with them just let them look and such if they act bad correct with a "ATT" is my word or whatever floats your boat. I did have to spray a cat with water a few times but that was only once. As for the pacas, or horses they never care. And well the snake has never met one [​IMG] Hope this helps atleast some.

5. kittyariel

kittyariel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    taft TN
    Thanks alot, when I get home tonight from work I will introduce them to the dogs. I think I am just way too protective!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by