Otherwise happy chicken with one flat, cloudy eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MedChicken, Dec 26, 2011.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Hello! I have a recently acquired hen with one flat, cloudy eye. The whole eyeball looks cloudy and sunken in, but there is definitely an eyeball present. I checked online descriptions of Marek's, and that doesn't look likely. She is a new addition to my flock, and I noticed this damaged eye when I moved her in at home. The eye is not swollen or covered in any sort of film that I can see. There is no blood or other signs of trauma, recent or otherwise. The bird is alert and active. She is eating, and even flew away to visit the neighbors the second I tried to move her into the new coop. In the process, she visited at least three different neighbors, perched in trees and on fences, etc - she clearly isn't suffering from the vision loss. While she does appear to be blind in that eye (she likes to keep that side to the wall), she does just fine. Tail up, hopping and clucking and playing. Feathers are soft and shiny, comb red and perky, no visible ulcers, sores or rashes anywhere. Since she is so skilled at keeping her good eye on me, I can't be sure whether this happened in transit or before I picked her up, but I'm fairly sure that it's an old injury. She came with 8 other hens that she grew up with, so I don't expect her to get picked on too badly.

Anything I should be worried about, or just keep an eye on her and make sure she's ok?

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, MedChicken - Thank you for your very detailed description. I agree with your assessment that this may be an old injury, as it sounds as if she has learned to adapt very well. This may be why you didn't notice this until you got her home. Since you said you did research, I guess you've seen this picture of ocular Marek's, and your chicken's eye doesn't look like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease Would it be possible for you to post a picture of her eye so that those with more experience than I can see if they recognize any sign of illness?

3. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Thanks for the quick reply! It definitely doesn't look like Marek's. I'll try to get a picture of her tomorrow. She was pretty cuddly today after I caught her in the neighbor's rosebush, but we'll see if I can get her that close to me again!

4. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Sorry, no picture yet - it's pouring rain today, so I only went out to the coop briefly to feed and water the girls. I'm starting to think that this is just an old injury, but I'll try to get a picture of her once the weather clears up a little. I know, I know, I'm a wimp, but I'm sick so I'm trying to avoid getting too cold and wet [​IMG]

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    haha If you're a wimp than I am too. Been running out only when I have to today to check on the girls and keep their run clean. I hate getting wet, but I'm trying not to complain too much. I'm thinking today how lucky we are the temperature isn't just a few degrees lower, because I really hate snow.... Stay dry!

6. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Thanks! I'll definitely try to get a picture when it stops raining. For now, time to cuddle up with a blanket and a cup of tea, and read the thread full of advice from the OTs!

7. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Well, I tried to get a picture, but naturally she always tries to keep the good eye on me! [​IMG] That being said, she's getting along well with the other hens in her new flock, eating well, scratching at the scratch and running to the feeder when I go out to top it off. Her feathers are staying silkie soft and shiny, so I'm going to assume that this must be an old injury and stop worrying about it!

Thanks for the advice!

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    You're welcome, and I'm glad she's doing well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by