Otherwise healthy chicken with green poop. Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Agnella, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Hello,
    I've got a 2year old Buff Orpington who is acting completely normal but her droppings are bright green.
    There are 7 girls total and this is the only one with the green droppings.

Her bum was quite dirty and tinted green so I gave her a bath. She's drying out in the bathroom right now eating and drinking. The droppings did smell quite rotten.
    I haven't fed them anything recently that would change their dropping colors.

Any ideas?

2. etammy

etammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Poop can get a strange bright green from red cabbage. If the poop is small in size and with a lot of watery white stuff, she is probably sick. When mine have gotten sick, probably from Merke's disease, that was one of the symptoms. Only time will tell. If it is Merke's, some die from it , some can live with it at least for a while. I had one show symptoms at 9 months old and just died at almost 4 years old. She would get ill once a year and need some extra support and then would do great for a long time, but a stress like a molt or winter I bet is what brought it on. Give her some electroyle solution in the water and monitor her eating, it takes a few weeks for them to pass from the merke's in my experience. Extra vitamin B12 helps them too, put it in the water. Good luck

3. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Thanks for the advice! She seems her normal self so I'm going to keep an eye on her and give her some extra goodies.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by