Otherwise healthy D'Uccle hen, lying down a lot! Please help!

Feb 28, 2020
Australia, QLD
Hi! Happy new year! One of my D'Uccle's (hen, around 2 years old) keeps laying down quite often. My sister found her lying on the porch, whilst all the other chickens were up at the coop. This is very strange for her. In the morning, she is as lively as a new hatched chick, whilst, during the day, has a 'nap'. It was raining today and my sister found her lying down in the middle of the coop (very strange and unlike her). She is otherwise, very healthy. Currently starting (very early stages) to molt. I have checked her breath, crop, everywhere except her vent, which I will do. This is very strange. Hasn't laid for a while (then again, our chickens are funny layers, going off and on all the time. Some lay more than others. Advice, help, appreciated.

Laura

If she is starting to molt, then it is common for themmto stop laying, and have long periods of rest. My chickens tend to be standoffish, eat less, and lie around during their molt each. As long as she is fairly active for parts of the day, and eats and drinks when she awakes, I would not worry too much. Make sure that she is not being bullied or kept away from food and water. It is always good to have multiple food and water bowls in different locations.

Back
Top Bottom