Otherwise healthy rooster not getting enough to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by noisegeyser, Apr 19, 2019.

1. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Mildly so not huge mine roost by dusk but fill the crop about 7 right now but there again not bursting

noisegeyser likes this.
  2. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    Can I ask you what exactly you are feeding that he is reluctant to eat and what exactly he takes enthusiastically from your hand?

3. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Both crumble, and scratch grains. He will readily take both from my hand, but is suddenly uninterested in what's in either of the feeders. All the food is fresh and my hens are eating it just fine.

cottagecheese likes this.
  4. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    Yes, but I thought it's worth it to check, and I apologize, but there is a slight possibility you are feeding layer and that would explain his lack of appetite.

5. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    It's alright. I'm giving them all flock crumble and putting oyster shell out for my hens.

penny1960 and cottagecheese like this.
  6. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I put food out in open pans and he's showing a little more interest. I only have a digital bathroom scale, so I weighed myself beforehand then stood on the scale while holding him. The scale isn't the most consistent but I weighed him 5 times and was able to see that he weighs somewhere between eight and ten pounds, so normal for a cochin. I'll weigh him daily and see if anything changes.

penny1960 likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would offer some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed and mixed in a little scrambled egg or wet feed for a few days. Thiamine or B 1 can sometimes help the appetite. He is a handsome rooster. You could consider worming him as well. I prefer Valbazen.

penny1960 and noisegeyser like this.
  8. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I have fenbendazole. Last time I wormed them was in December, and I used 3 ml per gallon of drinking water. I've generally been worming them every six months, should I more often/at certain times of year? I actually gave them some scrambled eggs earlier and he liked that, I will get some vitamin B tablets.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Fenbendazole is not very water soluble, and will settle out in water. The exception is fenbendazole aquasol. Regular fenbendazole settles out, has to be shaken well, is best given orally to each chicken. Ideally, it would be good to get a fecal test performed by a vet to look for worm larvae, but I tend to just treat at certain intervals, since vets here do not see chickens. If they peck the ground they will get worms. Fenbendazole dosage is 0.23 or 1/4 ml per pound given orally, once and again in 10 days to treat round worms and cecal worms. To treat the serious possible worms, such as capillary worms, treat for 5 consecutive days.

When I give the B complex, I use a microplane grater, and just grate 1/4 tablet over the food or egg. Crushing works as well.

10. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I'll find a syringe so I can administer it orally, and order fenbendazole aquasol in the future. Vets in my area don't bother with chickens either. My birds are confined to a run, but I before I let them out each morning I sweep away any droppings and old food and sprinkle DE where they dust bathe. Try to keep as clean of an environment as I can. When a chicken is infested with worms, won't they generally have an increase in appetite to try to make up for the nutrients they're losing to the worms? None of my chickens have been having diarrhea or any other symptoms of having parasites, but like you said it's probably better to worm preemptively.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: