Otherwise healthy rooster not getting enough to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by noisegeyser, Apr 19, 2019.

1. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Could he be emptying his crop more than once in a day if he's eating softer, easily digestible foods like eggs that don't have to be broken down as much?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You ask some good questions, but I cannot answer them. I have never had a bad infestation, only have seen a roundworm rarely in a single dropping. As far as I know the crop gradually fills up during the day with food and water, then empties while they are asleep overnight. I don’t think they would have an increased appetite with a worm infestation, but I don’t know for sure. I do know they can get gut damage which could make them feel ill, and have trouble absorbing food.

I forgot to mention, that most people would find the fenbendazole aquasol too expensive to use at $270 a jug. I just mentioned that it is given in water, and also that the dilution instructions are very confusing at least for me.

I would stop the scratch grains, which have only 1/2 the protein and little of the nutrients that layer feed has. I switched my chickens to all flock or flock raiser with some crushed oyster shell in a separate container. That is a 20% feed for all ages, hens, roosters, and chicks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    noisegeyser likes this.
  3. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    A couple weeks ago I tried completely cutting out scratch grain since it doesn't have much nutritional value, and they were eating way too much of it proportional to how much all flock crumble they were eating. It being the chicken equivalent of candy, of course my rooster liked it a lot more than the crumble. I caved in after a few days of him hardly eating anything and I put out scratch again, albeit in a much smaller amount. I know they can get spoiled and reject their food if given too many treats, but I don't know how to get him eating mainly crumble again without cutting out all other food entirely (which I'm very hesitant to do, since he isn't eating a lot to begin with).

I'll have Thiamine tablets by the end of the night, so I can crush and mix in a quarter tablet with their food tomorrow morning.

Eggcessive likes this.
  4. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Since I'm now feeding them from open pans he ate more than yesterday, I'll continue to update if things improve or worsen.

penny1960 likes this.
  5. noisegeyser

noisegeyser Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Off topic to the original issue, but I thought might as well post in this thread instead of making a new one since it might be connected. Does this look like blood or shed intestinal lining to you guys? I don't know which one of my chickens was responsible for this, this doesn't look healthy at all. Still, no one's acting sick. All the green you see is undigested grass. I'm starting to get scared, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: