Ouch! fiber glass poles!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rooster#3, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    i was tying up the fence and accidenty touched one of the fiberglass poles and got thousands of those little slivers.do you guys have any idea of how to get them out? they are way to small to get with a tweezers. [​IMG] .there has to be some kind of trick......

thanks
    Roo#3

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    My first thought is duct tape.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Oh I feel for you

When I was in high school, I had to make an Elizabethan costume for the homecoming parade float.

I went and got these fabulous draperies at the goodwill and made the best dress.

After wearing the dress for several hours for the parade, I started itching.

Turned out they were fiberglass drapes.

4. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Several methods

Duct tape

Cold water, cold cream wipe with panty hose

DO NOT USE HOT WATER!!!!!!

5. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Quick search brought this....

I don't think you can get them out. But hydrocortisone cream should help the itching.

Packet of Epsom salts and enough hot water to cover your hand. Dump salts in and swish them about until they stop dissolving them dump some more for luck. Soak hand for 10-30 minutes, 2-4 times per day until all splinters work themselves out.

6. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    duct tape, coat hand with Elmer's glue let dry and peal (added entertainment value). I used to use a face mask stuff that dried on your face and then you peeled it off. It would pull out blackheads. Not sure if that stuff is still around. stick your hand in mud and then let it dry, wash off. If I think a little I can probably come up with more but my very favorite is to "Not touch the pole" It hurts!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:yeowch... did something similar; made myself a pillowcase from a pretty drape. (hey, I was a teenager too, I didn't know it was fiberglass!)

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Pen that made me think of those nose strip jobbers that you let dry then pull off... made my eyes water but it was creepy how much crud they pulled up... gross.

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I did the same thing a few months ago by grabbing some UV damaged fiberglass. Them little pieces of glass are tiny and both of my palms were covered and I was miserable(I bet I wear gloves the next time...lol). I went to a nail salon and had them to wax both of my hands. It was instant relief.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh that's a good idea... and you get a manicure out of it... and totally justified... oh yeah, brilliant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by