:OUCH!: hey quit that...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by turtleblossom, Jun 23, 2008.

1. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    When my birds first started to peck at me I thought "how interesting, they are exploring their environment". But now it hurts! How do I discourage them without scaring them? I like that my chickies are so tame, but there comes a point when friendly behavior turns into a nusance. Oh yeha, they are 10 wks old, is this a faze they go thru?

2. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I don't think its a faze. Mine are a few months old and still do it.It's like the only way they know how to beg or something. I don't think they mean it. I have learned not to wear flip-flops when I go out to visit them. Ouch!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My babies were pecking at the bottoms of my toes as I was gardening this weekend. It didn't last long until they got bored. I agree it's probably a phase.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My limited experience is that they do this when they get to "teen" hood. They are indeed exploring their world, and it takes a month or so before they learn what's edible and what's not (like my contact lenses, earrings, toenail polish, etc.). After a while they learn and only peck at stuff they truly haven't seen before, and stuff they know is edible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by