ouch!!! Little booger face!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 22, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    I had one of my 2 week out home-hatched chicks up on my chest and i leaned in to smooch and he( im assuming) pecked and tugged and my monroe piercing!!!!

Scared me but jeebus.. the little devil!!!!!

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yeah, mine go after my earrings! And my eyes on occasion [​IMG]

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    My bantam cochin hen tried to peck me in the eye once, and she's just a big pet. I think it's a natural chicken reflex or something to peck at anything that looks shiny, like jewelry, eyeballs, teeth, glitter on your shirt, glasses, etc. If it has any kind of sparkle, a chicken will peck it; I try to keep them out of eyeball pecking range now. [​IMG]

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

hah it took me a while to figure out why chickens liked my face and kept oogling me...I have a tiny stud lip ring and a tongue ring, and one of my silkies finally actually pecked me right on the tongue one day and I was like...WELL DUH. lol. scared the bejesus out of me though seeing a beak coming at me!

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    mine pecked my tooth when I smiled guess she thought it was a piece of bread

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Yeah my nhr goes after my monroe any time I put my head below waist level, haha I'm sure she's just trying to get bugs off my face!

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My hens go for my fingernails, especially if I an wearing nail polish!

8. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

i had one of our girls sitting on my lap, she was being a bit pushy so i stuck my tongue out at her and quicker than i could blink she'd grabbed my tongue piercing and given it a good yank! needless to say i keep my tongue in my mouth around her now...

9. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:EEEEK!!!!

I have two tongue studs... i better keep it in my mouth around them!

10. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    If it shines, they will go after it. I've had them go after teeth, eyeballs, nail polish, etc. Or if it looks like a bug they will go after it. I've had a lot of the brats peck the mole on my shin this year. That hurts! I've learned (the hard way) that chickens tend to get an intense, curious look in their eyes right before they make the lunge, so you have to watch their behavior closely for signs that they are a little too interested in your face. I try not to let anyone get so close to my face that they get the opportunity to peck at me. My Silkie chicks lately have been trying to go for my teeth, the brats. And you CAN teach chickens the word no. Use it, and use it often. I also immediately put them down once I tell them no. It's conditional training, but for me, it works well. My older birds don't dare, they learned their lesson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by