OUCH! My hand!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Today I was holding my runt hen. I've been making them squat a bit on the ground when I hold them because one did the rooster sort of dance around me recently. I want to make it clear I'm the roo haha. Anyway as I was holding her in front of me she got annoyed and made some noises and tried to get away. When another hen saw her there she came over and attacked! She tried to get her but got my hand which has now bruised and bled at the time. So I grabbed her not knowing what to do with this hen with her hackles up and that made her angry so ANOTHER hen came over and tried to do the exact same thing to the initial attacking hen! What the heck is wrong with them???

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I'm not sure making them squat will make them see you as the rooster.

3. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Sounds like 'jealousy' to me! I know if I'm paying too much attention to any one hen, I have 2 dominics who will rush over and chase the hen off and then sit there waiting for me to praise them (read: treats!) or something.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    If my RIR actually has the temerity to squat for me when the Delawares (both above her in the pecking order) are near they will go after her. They go right for the comb.

5. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    Maybe it's because they're lower. I've seen them come over though even if I'm just holding in general... if the other one makes any noise then they come over. Almost like they think they're weak now so they can get them! [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Mine do this too! As soon as I have another hen on my lap, my production red (Penny), comes running and jumps up to get the other one off! [​IMG]

7. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    I know you Aoxa! I sent you a private message!

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    If I hold any of my younger 5 hens, some of the older 9 hens will come over and peck them or me.
    I always have to warn my youngest who loves to hold the younger ones, not to take them near the older girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by