OUCH! My rooster bit me!!! *UPDATE PG. 2*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gumpsgirl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    He really did! This was not a peck. He literally bit me and drew blood! Rhodey is 14 wks. old now and this is the first ever sign of aggression from him. Thank heavens I have already read rooster-red's rooster advice, so I felt like I somewhat knew how to handle it. He was protecting my little 9 wk. old BR hen. I tried to pick her up and she went to squawking and flapping her wings and that's when he moved in for the kill! [​IMG] Needless to say I grabbed hold to that boy and we went for a LONG walk around the yard. We visited the tomatoes, the garden, the goats, checked on the willow tree that was planted two months ago, locked up the van, etc... What a stinker! I had no idea that he had that in him. [​IMG] OUCH!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had one rooster who would, on occasion, bite me. (NEVER Hawkeye or Suede-I'd die of shock if either ever did, very good boys) He was carried around over and over and he still got a wild feather and would grab my wrist, even when no girls were in trouble. He doesn't live here anymore.
    Dutch, at 9 weeks, was running up when I'd pick up one of the pullets and would bite my finger. We did some "aversion therapy" on him and now he goes toward the fingers, but you can see the little rooster gears turning in his head and he stops short of actually biting. Hope he'll behave himself as an older guy.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am glad you knew how to react. I am glad you realized what set him off. I am glad he did not flog you.

You do know RIR roos are not well known as nice guys?

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I've added a small section on biting to my page now.

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Cyn. - Well, he might just end up being replaced by a BR roo if he doesn't behave himself better than that! He has never shown any sign of doing such an act before, so it really shocked me to be honest. I told the boys and my little DD that they better watch themselves for now on. The first time he bites my little DD will be the last, I promise that one! That boy will be freezer bound! [​IMG]

MissPrissy - I did not know that the RIR's were not known as nice guys. The RIR hens don't care to be picked up, but I've never had any problems with Rhodey before. He even follows me around the yard. I definitely will be keeping my eyes on him for now on though! Hopefully he got the message tonight that biting is unacceptable and that I'm the alpha roo around here. I guess we'll see. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks red! I'm going to read it right now! [​IMG]

I've just re-educated myself and will be ready for the beak grab if the occasion ever arrises again. [​IMG] I really would like for it not to, but incase it does, I will be ready! [​IMG] Thanks again for that advice.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:MissPrissy you'd love my RIR roo if you could see him in person, he's a real southern gentleman, in a rooster sort of way. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am sure he is coming from such a fine Red Rooster as yourself [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Why thankya kindly Ma'am
    *I my best Foghorn Leghorn voice*

10. MissPrissy