Ouch Ouch Ouch. allergic to my soap!! ouch!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    So for the past few days, i've had to wash my hands soooo much with the ducks and the eggs and everything. and i just figured out i'm allergic to the soap i use. my hands feel like they are on fire and they are all red! ahhh!!! it hurts!!!!!

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Ewww. I'm sorry! That's gross. And it sounds painful.

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yep. and now they're swollen. this is just so much fun! [​IMG]

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Benadryl allergy cream, perhaps?

5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:Are you sure this particular batch isn't just lye heavy?

ETA; What have you put in your soap? ARe you aware of any allergies to your ingredients?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
  6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Are you using antibacterial soap? If so, that is probably your problem. I have been told that those are particularly harsh and I have noticed that I am pretty allergic to all brands of antibacterial soap. On my hands I can get away with using it occasionally, but if I use it too much they get red and have itchy bumps. Anywhere else on my body the skin is even more sensitive.

When I had my belly button pierced they told me to wash it 2 or 3 times a day with Dial antibacterial soap...I did this in the shower where the soap obeyed the laws of gravity and ran down my legs. Ended up with everything from my belly button down itching and burning like fire and it took DAYS to go away even after I figured out the cause and stopped using the soap. [​IMG]

7. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'm not sure whats in the soap. its whatever my parents buy and put in the soap container. lol
    but the swelling, redness and pain is going down. i think i'll have to find a new soap...

8. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:Ok, I thought you were making your own, if it is store bought, change brands.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    It is probably because you have had to wash your hands so much lately, try rubbing lots of hand cream in or olive oil at night then put cotton gloves on overnight, this should help, I know what your going through though, I have to wash so many eggs every day that my hands can look awful if I did not constantly rub hand cream in every time I wash them.... [​IMG]

10. poisonivie

poisonivie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    My dd and I both have trouble with soap dish soap with bleach anti bac and alot of bar soaps lots of hand cream helps. but to stop it before it starts try using gloves. Have a pair for handling eggs with another for turning eggs and such, if you are not alergic latex glove work well . Try to keep your hands dry. They can crack and bleed too. I feel for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by