1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OUCH! Stepped on a nail, so what's the best way to treat it?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by dewey, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    In my rush today running around in flip flops starting chores I stepped on a nail. Actually a 14 GA blunt that went in around 1/2". I pulled the plank off my foot and after I finished chores I came in and put alcohol on it, but it's deep, so I don't think any got to it. I did tons of errands today for easter and it's still throbbing like crazy. Can't really walk on it now. Think I should soak it in salt water or ? ?

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Go to the ER and get a tetnus shot. Hope you heal up soon.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:X2

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh I remember stepping on a rusty barn nail with a piece of plank on it. EEEOUCH! Go to ER and get tetanus shot if you haven't had a tetanus within five to seven years. Don't try to treat it yourself.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    This happened to me last summer. I kept it bandaged and kept it nice and clean and we got some epson salt and you put it in a big bowl of warm, water that you can put your whole foot in. Then I had to go to the hospital they gave me a tetanus shot and some pills to take 3 times a day.

P.S. Dont plan on doin anything with the arm you got the shot in it; it will hurt and ach for a whole week.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Is your Tentnus shot updated? Even with that being said, treat with alchol.. Not the consumable type [​IMG] Do it a few times tonight, and first thing tomorow.. I think as long as you keep it extra clean..

i hope your ok, all the best!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I think your salt water ides is good, our vet had us soaking our dogs paw in salt water, when he hurt himself.. Salt water is good, I think.. (But I am no medicale expert...

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Tet shot & antibiotic cream. Been there, done that.

9. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thank you. Yep it throbs like crazy, lol. When it happened I had my hands full of gallon jugs of water and had to drag the plank, hopping, stuck in my foot for about 20' until there was a place to lean on to pull it out. Thought I'd pass out, lol.

But the shots hurt, dang it, lol. My last one was probably over 5 years ago. Was hoping [​IMG] that one would cover me. Think that long is ok?

10. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:Thank you. And I know...oh the agony of those shots!! I don't wanna.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by