1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ouch!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 17, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Yesterday I found an egg from my gold sex link that was bigger than a goose egg.

She had not laid eggs for more than a month after she and the other GSL were attacked by the other chickens. I think, although I'm not sure, it had to do with the rooster. He is in another pen with the ducks awaiting freezer camp. The current two roosters I have with these chickens seem a lot more mellow.

Of course, I'm mighty glad she is laying again, despite the injuries. She looks terribly scrawny still and not fully recovered, but I guess egg laying is a good sign.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Coming back into lay after an injury or a molt can be tricky business. I just got an egg from an one of my old ladies (who just finished molting) about the same size as yours. I haven't cracked it open yet, but I am sure it has to be a double yolker. I want to find a scale so I can weigh mine. It is easily the biggest egg I've ever seen.

Glad to hear your girl is recovering. Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by