Ouchie Mama! Ripped off toenail!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensarefamily2me2, Feb 6, 2012.

1. chickensarefamily2me2

chickensarefamily2me2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Hi everyone! I've got a problem... I own a female Mallard named Gertrude. Gertrude lives in the house, because my chickens are bullies. She was all fine and dandy ten minutes ago, until I realized that she was bleeding. The source was from her foot. She had ripped off one of her toenails. It's totally gone, not even a little piece left.
    All I know is that even if I do clean out her pen every hour, there is a threat of infection. Anyone know how pack it so she won't tear it off or eat any part of it...

This incident seriously scared the crap out of me, because I constantly worry about her eating something hazardous. I seriously thought she was bleeding from the intestines.... She isn't though...

2. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Beaker had this problem last year. (I walked into the room and it looked like a crime scene! Poor girl--she was shaking her foot and blood splattered everywhere.) Since she was also living inside and wasn't diapered, I kept her in the bathroom and kept clean towels on the floor for her. I changed them frequently.

She never got an infection. I do think I might have dabbed a little bacitracin on it though.

Good luck!

Amanda

3. chickensarefamily2me2

chickensarefamily2me2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Omg! Finally! Duckie Mama was having a nervous breakdown. Thank you for the advice. I do have school and Dad has work... Hmm....

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I had this happen to one of my Calls last year and put bloodstop powder on it, followed immediately with a few days of Baytril injections to avoid infection. Duck was lame for about a week or so and then felt better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by