1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ouchy foot/leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlefootfarm, Apr 5, 2011.

1. littlefootfarm

littlefootfarm New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Hey ya'll- I usually post over on the BYH forum but tonight I have a chicken problem.

I feel like a total dork for asking this cause it's probably something very elementary/obvious, but I'm having a brain fart and need some help.

This evening I noticed my standard cochin roo limping and holding his foot up when standing around. He's a pretty big dude and has never had any issues before. Still getting around and made it up to the roost tonight without issue. ANYWAYS.....I had a look at his foot and didn't see anything stuck, cut, or swollen but his leg is a little warm and the side of his foot where the feathers are is pretty red and irritated. It's so hard to tell because of all those darn feathers, but I don't know what to think. He let me press on it and handle it without jerking away...I did see quite a few new feathers pinned in there- could it be some blood feathers that are just irritated?

I'm probably over reacting, but Charlie is one of my favorites and I just hate to see him hurt. (If pics of his foot would help, I can take some tomorrow.)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post! [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm not sure what it could be, a pic would be helpful. Usually with an unknown issue like that I got to the Neosporin type ointments first, the ones with NO ingredients ending in -caine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by