OUINOA ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kitchenella, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Is ut better tto feed quinoa raw or cooked? My girls seem to like it raw.

How about dry split green peas?

Peggy

2. beautifulbirds

beautifulbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Raw or soaked I would think; only cook a grain (like rice) for winter to use as a carbohydrate as this will help keep them warm.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Canadian researchers found, "Examination of antinutrients indicated very little trypsin inhibitor activity" for quinoa. Sounds good.

North Dakota State folks report, "Trypsin inhibiting activity of raw pea was reported by Valdebouze and co-workers (1980) to be from 5-20 times less than that reported for raw soybeans." Still, they want you to know that peas should be limited in the diet of pigs. They fed peas at 20% of the diet but it was "extruded" peas. Extruding heats the feed and heat eliminates the antinutrients, as I understand.

Peas have also been evaluated for poultry feed but I've forgotten where I read about that. Whatever the case, I recall that the comparison with soybeans showed about the same thing. Since, soy amounts to about 30% of many poultry feeds - I guess we can assume that cooking peas should make them very safe. Uncooked, they are probably just okay. That's about as far as I'd go without more credible information.

Steve
    edited (very late) to fix the link for the fieldpea info

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  4. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Thanks. I tossed a few raw peas out today and they were ignored by the chickens. Cooking it will be.

5. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    You can sprout them, too, if you like the idea of feeding raw foods.

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Raw or cooked. Mine love leftover quinoa, especially with tomatoes mixed in (I think I'll go make some now!). Not sure why cooked grains would be different than raw, but sprouted would likely be the best of all...

7. beautifulbirds

beautifulbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sprouted is best of all - try soaking the quinoa in a mix of honey and molasses, let it steep until it sprouts and then serve the grain and any excess liquid in a bowl. They love it that way.

8. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Isn't quinoa high high-ish in protein?
    I'm trying to put together a high-protein treat, and if it _is_ high, I could use it instead of oatmeal (provided it's higher than oatmeal;) ). I have a bunch.

-C

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    If you are talking about regular breakfast oatmeal, the USDA shows that it has 13% protein.

For quinoa, they have it at 14% protein.

BTW - I've fixed the link on my 11/11 post for the pea info from NDSU [​IMG]. Sorry

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by