Our 16 week old Khaki Campbell is bobbing her head and bowing to me?

arsprinkle85

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
Clarksville, Tennessee
Quackerz is 16 weeks old and the lone duck here. We are a family of four sons (7,10,11,& 14), a 4yrs old 85lb Rottie / Lab mix (Quackerz laid the law down with her at 6wks old lol!)
She runs the house playing with the kids and being an absolute riot with her quirky attitude.
But she is different with me. Along with being the only person that can pick her up and hold her she chirps/laughing quacks in response to me leaving/entering the room, if she hears my voice or hears me coming she does her loud laughing quack.
Now here about the past 10 days or so she has started some odd things. Like if I put her into her kennel (it's XXL with a covered little bed inside and a heating lamp) she tries to escape it. Not in a fearful manner. More like this absolutely must be my me kind of thing. And when I approach her she bows. Like fully stretched out,neck fully extended,bill to floor kind of bow. Then will return to normal behavior when I step back, and bow again if I return. And when she bows she does this chortle chirping softly while letting me pet her along her back. (She will permit no one else to pet her like this.)
I'm used to her cute little head bobbing at me or her head laying in my hands while she chirps and lays her head sideways looking up at me. But I am totally stumped about the bowing.
My husband thinks she is in love with me and my kids say she does it because I am momma. But I have read it's a courtship thing...
So I ask as I attach a photo here.. has anyone experienced this or know why she is doing this? I'm most curious about the responses to come. :)
(Please excuse the mess in my floor. She had a field day with her veggies tonight lol.)-She is bowing over a bowl of water here.. Literally stopped playing to bow...
Also 2 photos of her in everyday life to give you an idea of how she is raised different from most ducks. :)
[/IMG] when I walked by.

Last edited:
Oh lord!
1f602.png

Well I am glad she loves me but also happy my husband agreed to let me get her a friend. . However, I am nervous about how she will receive a new duck... So, we are bringing her with me to the introduction. And if all goes​ well she will have a feathery playmate to bow to.
1f604.png
1f609.png

Debating on a duckling to raise or an adult. . . My worry is most adult ducks aren't used to living how this spoiled girl lives. Lol!

Last edited:
You could do either, but I think a younger drake would adapt better... just go slow and be patient... they may not be instant friends or they might be... if not, just keep them near each other without being able to reach each other, like keep the new one in a large kennel or play fence, for a while until they get to know each other... :)

That's what I was thinking about doing. The lady I got Quackerz from is a veterinarian and still has her parents and 2 of her brothers. As apparently she was the only female of the bunch. But we don't know about bringing her sibling in. She hasn't seen them since she was 10 days old and feel she won't remember them.
-
I told my husband about the imprinting and invite to mate... He spit his drink out laughing at me.
1f602.png

:lau

Sorry, I had to laugh too! Don't feel alone though... I have a one legged Call duck that is imprinted on me as well... goofy things just feel the hormones changing...

A brother of hers might work out fine... whether she remembers him or not, she might still take to him... :)

20171127_203754.jpg
Well, its been about 8 months and I thought I'd pop through with an update! :)
Back in July we got a drake duckling (also Khaki) from Rural King... He has quite the attitude but has grown to love his home and woman. ;)
Though Quackerz still bows to me she has accepted Lucky (our male) as a mate and this spring we will allow the eggs to produce babies. ..(they have been making fertilized eggs like madness!)
A quirk Lucky picked up from Quackerz is showing me love. So, instead of bows he does his cute little dance and nuzzles me with his bill.... Quackerz is doing GREAT and super relaxed now that she has a mate.
Here is a picture of them snuggled... lucky 'guards' her nesting spot as she lounges in her little bed
20171127_205117.jpg
20171127_204011.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom