Our 1st chicks...medicated food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by boxerpupmom1127, Aug 8, 2013.

1. boxerpupmom1127

boxerpupmom1127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Hampstead, NC
    Hi All!

We got our first chicks yesterday (7 total) and I want to make sure I'm feeding them correctly:) I am using a non-medicated feed, as suggested by the nice man at Tractor Supply...but the breeder suggested I use a medicated feed. I'm totally freaked out by the possibility of Coccidiosis. Is there a feed additive I can add for prevention or should I switch to a medicated feed? I should also mention that I will be using a brand from either Southern States or Ace (the Tractor Supply bag was just to get through 2 days while I'm out of town) so any input on those brands is appreciated too. My chicks are 4 days old today and have been vaccinated and water treated for some disease prevention (so I'm told). Thanks!!!

-Hayley

2. Grunt Monkey

Grunt Monkey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Fort White,Fl
    We feed ours a medicated all the way through up until almost adult hood and they are perfectly fine or you can go without its just preference we use it some don't.

1 person likes this.
  3. IrishAcreFarm

IrishAcreFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    You will want to find out if they are vaccinated for coccidiosis. If they were, you should feed unmedicated. If they were not vaccinated for it, it is a very good idea to feed a medicated feed. I have heard horror stories of people losing all their chicks quickly to coccidia, so I always feed medicated to my babies. I love them too much to risk it! Good luck on your babies!

1 person likes this.
  4. boxerpupmom1127

boxerpupmom1127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Hampstead, NC
    Thank you! They were only vaccinated for Maerks so it looks like medicated food for us :) We've only had them a day and we're already in love with them!!

5. IrishAcreFarm

IrishAcreFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    Aww :) they are easy to fall in love with!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by