Our 1st Coop (Super Chicken and hens

Super Chicken

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 25, 2008
This is our 1st coop it is 4x8x6. We bought 2 play houses from lowes and we joined them and place them on a 6x8 platform. We recycled a old dog pen for the run and covered it with chickenwire. the nest boxes and roost are all leftover parts from the playhouse or lumber salvaged from a construction site

02-04-08_1507-1.jpg

still needs work
02-04-08_1510-1.jpg

almost there
IMG_0126.jpg

just needs site clean up now
IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

nesting boxes

IMG_0098.jpg

Hyacinth and daisy

IMG_0116.jpg

just scratchin

Wow, that looks great! I bet they are going to love thier new home. Might I make a few suggestions tho? Im not sure what predators you might have there, but chain link will allow mink and weasles access to your babies. Might want to get some chicken wire, 1 inch, and go around the chain link....unless they are secured at night in the coop. The window, looks like chicken wire? Might want to change that out with some hardware cloth. A Coon can easily rip through chicken wire. Also....they might want to roost on the top of those nest boxes...Especially in the summer, next to the window, where a cool evening breeze comes in. Maybe a slanted cover over them? Not trying to critisize....looks like you did great work!!

Might want to get some chicken wire, 1 inch, and go around the chain link....

justusnak
Isn't that some chicken wire i see along the bottom of the first pic? If you look really close you can see it lined you can tell by the line of wire about 2 feet off the ground,

That is a good point I was told critters can reach in and yank the chickens heads right through the fence. That is not something I want to come home to.
barnie.gif

Very nice, I am looking for a new place and I hope they leave me with a shed or something but if not I want a chain link and I will line it with chicken wire it looks so neat .

Nice job they look content.
love.gif

I would suggest hardware cloth over the bottom 2 - 3 ft of the fencing. You would be surprised what can get an arm in those chicken wire holes and grab a chicken. A coon will eat the chicken right through the fence holes.

Back
Top Bottom