Our 1st loss...... very sad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnavee, May 26, 2010.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    We found one of our 1yr old Australorps, Big Mama, in the chicken run dead this morning. As far as we know, she has never been sick a day of her much too short life. She was fine yesterday and last night, acting normally and keeping her fellow chickens in line. I went out at 7am to open the door from the enclosed run to the open run and she was sitting on the edge of the dust bath box, but looked fine. She didn't go out with the others, but I didn't think much about it. When we took snacks out around 11:30, she wasn't with the other chickens so we thought she was probably laying an egg. Then hubby spotted her in the run, laying on her side - dead. She was in the same place where I saw her alive this morning. So today has been pretty emotional, and yes I have cried more than I thought I would. She was a big, beautiful, friendly girl and we sure will miss her. The chicken run was strangely quiet today, as though the other girls knew something was wrong. I guess they miss her too, in their own chicken way.

2. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    [​IMG] I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. MTU58EGGER

MTU58EGGER New Egg

Apr 30, 2010
    Mabelvale, Arkansas
    So sorry for your loss, I read tons of information on chickens and they say that they grieve just like Humans do, and if you don't visit them for a few days they will grieve for you also.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    So sad and unexpected. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Gosh, I am sorry about your loss. [​IMG] I hate that so many of them don't live long. [​IMG] It just happens sometimes.

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Thank You for sharing your loss..it makes me feel a lttle better..
    I had a loss also a few days ago..and am more heartbroken than I can find words for. Did not sleep at all the first night and still cry every time I think of it. Mine was coyotes....................
    How do you explain to people who do not share the same commitment to chickens that we do.....They just think I am nuts. We are lucky to have this site.
    I am very sorry about losing your girl.

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    sorry for your loss [​IMG] we lost one this last winter and it was hard

9. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hugs to you and the other hens. So hard, but their sweet clucks will help you smile again [​IMG]

10. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Thanks for all the caring and understanding messages. This morning, the other girls are still quieter than normal and seem a little lost. I hadn't realized what an integral part of the flock Big Mama was. Since we don't have a rooster, she was the "look out" and would always sound an alert when she saw or heard a hawk or other perceived danger. It will take a while for all of us to get back to normal. But, I do have very nice memories of her since we raised her from a chick. Her spirit lives on with us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by