our 2 bobwhite quail seem more tame than our chickens?

TinyBirds

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's our first time having quail. We got 2 at the feed store and raised them with our chickens (free range and then in a PVC pen at night, though the pen isn't closed so it's their choice to use it or not). Our donkey and sheep sleep near the PVC coop so we haven't had predators yet, but plan to add a boundary electric wire soon. Anyway, the quail are about 4 months old and they just let us pick them up and carry them in the house. I have pictures of the kids holding them the past few days, and the quail just sit there in their hands and don't even try to get away. They're so adorable. I bought some quail eggs from ebay to try and hatch some more, since we like these 2 so much. I don't know if it's just an oddity though that these 2 are so tame. They seem less flighty than our chickens (the chickens would only sit in the girl's hands when they were babies, but they try to get away if they pick them up now...) Then I thought maybe it's just because it's cold outside and the quail wants to be warm in our hands. We never tried picking them up before the past few days, since we thought quail were supposed to be flighty. I was actually surprised they even stayed around our house like the chickens, without leaving us for "the wild" (which isn't far - we have 2 great creeks behind the house, but they just stay near the house like the chickens, even though they can definitely fly fast/far and we see them doing that across the backyard sometimes)

wow! I got mine after they had already started laying. They were SOOO flighty and any thing that walked by they would hit the roof. Moved them to a 4' tall pen (after being told they can not be in a cage that lets them fly or they will hit their head). And sure enough - it wasnt any better. I finally moved them inside and they are much better now. It took WEEKS to be able to open the cage to put food/water/ get eggs without them freaking out. Now they talk to me and tell me I need to hurry up with the water , or the feed , etc.. lol But wow letting them free range?? impressive! I havent been able to hatch one egg so far so Im planning on starting over in the spring with the A&M's. Also bobwhites are monogamous. I have one male and two females. oops!

Just A Thought Here.....

Most States Have Laws Governing Quail And Exotic Bird Speces. Many Require Permits/ Licensure To Even Posess These Birds. Almost All States Have Laws Against "releasing" Any Exotic, Or Many Of These Game Birds. To A Game Warden Free Ranging Is Releasing( Releasing Constitutes Voluntarily Releasing Birds--- Such As Free Ranging, Or Involuntarily Such As Not Taking Reasonable And Prudent Measures To Keep The Animals Securely Confined At All Times). So Be Careful. Many A Well Meaning Bird Fancier Has Been Fined Or Prosecuted For Similar Well Meant Actions. You May Want To Check With Your States Fish And Game/ Dnr Dept Just To Safe. Sounds Pretty Cool Tho! What Type Of Quail?

The ones we have are bobwhite, bought locally. That's definitely good to know that I should check on if it's okay to let them out in the day.

Back
Top Bottom