Our 3 Black Sex Links

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by afroggie, Nov 24, 2014.

1. afroggie

afroggie New Egg

Sep 13, 2014
    We started our flock this summer with six. A daytime predator dropped us to three. The three have been living happily since. (I fixed the predator entry point)

Our girls have a house that would comfortably fit the original six. They have a 10'X15' fenced run with a roof covering most of it; but during the day they get full run of the fenced back yard.

We have been waiting (mostly patiently) for our first eggs. Well finally after 25+ weeks we have our first egg. Then she took a day off and started again the next day. So we are now three eggs for four days. One other girl is squatting but the third is not quite ready.

We weren't quite sure we would get eggs this year. Our weather here in NH has been cold already but I have added lighting to extend the day and make sure they get closed up in their house at night.
    They are a lot of fun and I'm glad I entered this adventure.[​IMG]

Thank you for the great web site, it has been very helpful!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your three BSLs. Black Sex Links are my favorite hens. They are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. They also lay better than any other hens I've had in really cold, winter weather. You'll get loads of eggs from those three ladies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your RSLs.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. afroggie

afroggie New Egg

Sep 13, 2014
    I am enjoying the fact that I can finally pet them now that they are beginning to squat. They were too old when we got them to allow us to handle them much. And as they got older they would grab at fingers if you weren't careful when handing them scraps. Now I can pet them and even pick them up.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Wonderful to have you here!

8. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Hello from Maine!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. But congrats on those first eggs!! How egg-citing!!

Welcome to our flock!

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] sorry about your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by