Our 5 day old Cayuga has torticollis - vit e & polyvisol dosage?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kwack, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    Our Cayuga has a permanent neck rotation and is always flexed. He/she eats and drinks well, bathes and grooms like the others but I've never seen s/he look up. The others lift their heads when drinking but I've never seen the Cayuga do that.

Anyone seen this?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    We had a muscovy duckling thats neck was crooked so bad that it looked like it came out of one side of his chest. It wasnt born like this, and it was the only one, but he didnt make it more than a few weeks.

Is this what you are talking about?

3. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    It's pretty subtle. A slight turn to the right and like it's always looking down.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I used Vitamin E via syringe on a BO chick when her neck started to go crooked. It worked!!

Here is what I did... I bought Vitamin E gel caps, cut them open and squeezed the vitamin goo into a cup- I sucked the vitamin goo up with a syringe (bought at TSC)- I think I used 3 gel caplets each time, maybe more, it won't hurt the duck. I syringed it into the chick's mouth 2x a day for almost 2 weeks. It's a gradual improvement, but now at 12 weeks she is the same size as her hatch mates, and has no evidence of crooked neck.
    I think they may call it wry neck. You can do a search on here too.

Good Luck!!

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    My Magpie duck, Lily, had a severe Niacin deficiency when she was around the same age. It got so bad that she started having seizure-type behaviors. I had to buy liquid brewer's yeast and sprinkle it over her food for weeks before she was cured. She is now a year old and is as healthy as all of her buddies. Only long-term effect seems to be her permanently squeaky quack. [​IMG]

6. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have been using brewer's yeast because they are on chick starter. I will try the vitE.
    Thanks

7. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    Does anyone have dosage suggestions for poly-vi-sol and vit e for "wry neck".

If only I could adjust the ducky:D

8. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    ANYONE? Vit E and polyvisol dosage? Please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by