Our 6 wk old Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaxGrits, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JaxGrits

JaxGrits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    I am new here and just wanted to share our chicks with y'all. They are 6 weeks old as of yesterday. We originally ordered three chicks but one of them died the day they arrived (pretty traumatic way to start my adventure as a chicken mom!). I named them Thelma and Louise and the names suited them perfectly...until last week when Thelma crowed. Might have to change Thelma's name to Theodore. I was hoping they were both hens but all signs are pointing to roo for Thelma. They are the sweetest things. They seem like the best of friends too. Because we're in an urban area we aren't supposed to have rooster- I still don't know what we're going to do because it would break my heart to have to split them up.

Anyway, here are some pictures. Don't mind the watermark- I also used them on my blog.

First Week: (The black one is "Thelma" the other one is "Louise")
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How SWEET is Louise?! She loves to cuddle. I was laying down and she fell asleep snuggled in my fleece.

[​IMG]

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG]They are darling! Are you sure it was a crow at 6 weeks?
    That seems awful young to me.[​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

I do hope you can keep them together. Perhaps your neighbors would be tolerant?

4. JaxGrits

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    It goes against everything I've read but there is no denying that it was a crow. I hear it a few time each morning and she looks JUST like a rooster when she does it. Stretches her neck out and crows then goes right back to peeping. I know it's possible for a hen to crow so that's just what I'm going to tell myself for now!

5. JaxGrits

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    Luckily, our neighbors love them. I'm just worried about code encorcement somehow finding out. We live in a historic neighborhood and they're always snooping around looking for something to slap a fine on!

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    They can crow that young. Thats when mine started.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Your EEs look awesome!!
    [​IMG]

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Hes definitely a rooster. Red comb splotchy coloring and slight red coming in on his wingbows those are EE Rooster traits.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. mairead

mairead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    Welcome ^_^ they are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by