1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our against-the-odds chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flock Leader, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I'm not sure if this should go here, or under Pictures and Stories, but there it is... our newly hatched chicks, made it out of the eggs this morning, in our homemade incubator. Now they are much fluffier than when I took this photo, a couple of hours ago.

[​IMG]
    I say their odds of making it weren't very good... overall it wasn't a great hatch to begin with, many of the eggs turned out to be infertile so we were left with only 4. Then, the past few weeks weren't exactly great eletricity-wise - many power shutdowns around here, yesterday one that lasted almost all day. Our emergency unit went out of order, too. Yesterday was to be their due day, and I was sure the fluctuating temperature and humidity had done them in, but they made it today, just a little late. We are all so excited, us and the girls (now 4 and 2.5 years). Two more eggs are due to hatch tomorrow, and one has pipped already.

So far it appears we have one male and one female chick, but I might err. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, if all goes well, we'll know for sure.

Here is a photo of their Mom. She's an Israeli (Baladi) chicken, so technically not a recognized breed, but I thought her feathering is one of the prettiest I've ever seen on a chicken, if I may say so myself, so I was pretty eager to get chicks from her. She hatched in our incubator too, last June.

[​IMG]
    And Dad. They are siblings, hatched in the same brood, so I have high hopes for the lovely feather pattern to be repeated.

[​IMG]

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]Congratulations! Those chicks are survivors!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats! Mom and Dad are both gorgeous, those chicks are going to be very pretty!

4. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    [​IMG]
    Today, all fluffed up already. [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's beautiful [​IMG]

6. Allicoop