Our alpha Wyandotte hen has a swollen face, no eggs, and bumblefoot!

NYPouletparent

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello all! Seeking hive mind advice for our silver-laced Wyandotte hen, Pepperpot.

We noticed yesterday that the left side of her face is swollen and pale (see first pic). This is a new development that we didn't see last week. Upon further inspection, we also see that she has a case of bumblefoot that seems to be healing. Other than that, she's eating, drinking, and running around like normal. No watery eyes, no runny nose. Pepperpot is our alpha hen, the top dog of the flock, and has always been a bit of a loner. She's a little over 2 years old, around 6.5 lbs, and was our first layer. This year, she's stopped laying eggs completely! Our go-to cooperative extension chicken guru suggested that while unusual, could be normal since she's been acting fine the entire time (she's turned into a bit of a alpha rooster these days).

We've checked in with the vet who says to simply monitor her and let them know if it gets worse. We're worried that it might be a sinus infection or other respiratory disease. No other hens have swollen faces, and we haven't treated her with anything as of yet. We haven't separated her from the flock yet. Wondering if the bumblefoot, swollen face, and lack of eggs is somehow related?

Any and all help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Photo 1: Pepper's swollen face, left side
Photo 2: Pepper's normal face, right side
Photo 3: Comparison of both sides

Attachments

• swollen pepper.jpg
    swollen pepper.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 14
  • normal pepper.png
    normal pepper.png
    433.8 KB · Views: 8
  • pepper face comparison.jpg
    pepper face comparison.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to BYC and sorry this was your first post. Looks to my eye like a nothing too major thing that will most likely resolve with time. At least only something I would monitor but not try to treat unless symptoms worsen. :pop

To be honest I'm 50/50 on blunt force trauma vs some type of inflammatory response.

I dont know for sure but she could have been stiung or bitten, she had a swollen area right above her eye. Which could be the area which it happened.. i would monitor and wait.

How long has she been this way... my guess is within a week or so it should be good..

Welcome to BYC and sorry this was your first post. Looks to my eye like a nothing too major thing that will most likely resolve with time. At least only something I would monitor but not try to treat unless symptoms worsen. :pop

To be honest I'm 50/50 on blunt force trauma vs some type of inflammatory response.

Thanks, AllenK RGV! I've been a BYC lurker for quite some time, even though I haven't officially posted :)

We'll monitor and see how it goes. I definitely could see the blunt force trauma option. After all, she is our alpha and has no problem confronting other hens.

I dont know for sure but she could have been stiung or bitten, she had a swollen area right above her eye. Which could be the area which it happened.. i would monitor and wait.

How long has she been this way... my guess is within a week or so it should be good..

Thanks, Mvan42. I check my chickens on the regular, and this is definitely a new occurrence. Appreciate the reassurance...I'll keep an eye on her this week and give an update!

It may be an insect sting or peck wound. How long has the eye been swollen? If it has been several days already, or if you see bubbles or drainage from the eye, it may be a respiratory disease such as MG. Terramycin eye ointment after cleaning the eye with saline may be helpful if you see bubbles or drainage.

Bumblefoot can be mild or serious. Pictures would be helpful.

Her crop looks rather enlarged in the pic. Can you feel it early in the morning before she eats, and tell us if her crop is empty and flat, full and hard, doughy, or puffy?

If she has not been laying eggs, she might be suffering from a reproductive problem. Look for any enlargement or swelling in the lower belly under the vent. What do her poops look like? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Back
Top Bottom