Our Angel Died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meetthebubus, May 6, 2017.

1. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    This was my first egg layer that passed, she just turned 1 years old, I'll basically copy what i wrote on Facebook

Yesterday May 5th, 2017 We lost our beloved Hen ANGEL
    We don't know what happened, she seemed to go peacefully. I fed her a treat of raisins, and 3 hours later i returned for dinnertime to find her passed.
    She was always aloof, preferred to be alone, she loved Roo her rooster and always wanted a spot next to him at night.
    She would "talk" with me when i held her and rubbed her cheek which she loved.
    Her fave food was everything and she knew and responded to her name. She will be missed here on the Ranch.
    A video montage will be posted soon on meet the bubus youtube chanel to mark her passing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's a shame.

I always recommend getting a necropsy and lab work when a bird dies for an unknown reason.
    That's the only way to know. Every state has at least one poultry lab that will do the job. Some states are free.
    I have sent 3 birds to our vet school. I've also done my own necropsy of some birds.
    2 of the birds had heart attacks, one had cancer and one of the one's I did had fatty liver syndrome. I immediately put the birds on a diet, cutting out treats.
    Here's a list of labs.
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by