Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

Pics

SaludaChicken

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
Hi everyone,
It is with a very heavy heart, that we lost our 6 leghorns to a very aggressive dog. The dog was so aggressive that he literally tore the chicken wire out in order to get to our hens. Our hens didn't stand a chance.
I shot the dog and the owner was so out raged he threatened me and my wife. No concern for my babies.
He will no longer be a menace(the dog). I put him away.
By the way, he was not interested in what his dog did as I tried to show him. He wouldn't even look!
Saluda Chickens, RIP!

I remember once hearing my horse thundering up and down his pasture one morning, looking out the window i see he was being chased by two long legged hunting dogs. One was a black and tan coonHound, the other white with light brown spots.
I ran out in my nightgown and having my most loud and intimidating voice (the one that makes all my critter know I mean business) shouted at the dogs "Get the H$!! Outahere"! My horse Dandy ran and got behind me at which time the black dog started stalking towards me with his head down and hackles raised....
Now, I wish I had my gun at that moment as I had nothing but my nightgown and bare feet. I kept shouting and picked up a stick. The brown dog that recognized the authority in my words, was slunking back under the fence, but this time got a shock on his tail from the electric fence and let out a Yelp. Then the black dog haulted as he figured I must have some kind of power to hurt his companion from such a distance.
I Keep my gun right behind the door now. Easy to grab on any dash out the door.
Good job shooting the dog. You were within your rights. I hope you called the sherrif and took lots of pictures of the final scene to cover your butt
It's our responsibility to protect our livestock from this kind of attack.
I always think, what if it small children these aggresive unsupervised dogs find next time?

I used to think (before I had chickens) that I wouldn't be able to shoot someone's dog if they were chasing my birds. But I have since then lost four guineas and one Leghorn to predators, and now I wouldn't hesitate if I saw a dog tearing up my chickens.
Probably the only exception would be one of my neighbor's dogs. Since I'm very good friends with the neighbor, and I know her dog. He only comes over if she is over here, and she is aware of his chasing behavior. He ends up in her vehicle if he follows her over here.

Personally I would hate to shoot a dog but if it killed any of my birds I would eliminate it. I would probably SSS which I realize isn't the best thing and just let it be that it never went back home. I know of a BYC member who had an issue with a dog coming on her property and killed some of her birds. It was a repeat offender. She did seek out the owner of the dog who denied it was his dog so the next time it appeared on her property she shot it with a paintball. Not sure what happened as this was several years ago. I would have eliminated it if the owner is going to let it roam loose. Good luck...

I'm so sorry to hear you lost all your girls. That is so sad and very upsetting, especially since your neighbor was unwilling to realize the extent of the damage his dog caused.
Was your coop only reinforced with chicken wire? As you have still painfully found out, chicken wire only keeps chickens in and not predators out. It simply is not strong enough. If you do end up getting more chickens, you will need to use hardware cloth to keep them safe.
Again, I'm so sorry. :hugs

Hi everyone,
It is with a very heavy heart, that we lost our 6 leghorns to a very aggressive dog. The dog was so aggressive that he literally tore the chicken wire out in order to get to our hens. Our hens didn't stand a chance.
I shot the dog and the owner was so out raged he threatened me and my wife. No concern for my babies.
By the way, he was not interested in what his dog did as I tried to show him. He wouldn't even look!
Saluda Chickens, RIP!
So sorry for the loss of your precious hens. :hugs

Hi everyone,
Saluda Chickens, RIP!
:hugs My husband would have done the same thing. Nice hens that you had, take care…

Back
Top Bottom