Our babies made it

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by daviechik, Mar 15, 2013.

1. daviechik

daviechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    day one (with us) [​IMG] Cant wait to start this journey [​IMG] 1 & 7/8oz Expense log: 25 straight run chicks $48.75 shipping $21.75 lights/lamps $39.00 feed 50# waterer feeder $37.00 _______________________________ subtotal, day one. $146.50 Shavings 12sq ft, $6.50

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    I'm surprised by how big their crops get filled when eating, they have been (as expected) drinking lots of water too. They are in their brooder in our house to protect them from predators.

Brain storming, best turkey fryer?

3. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

day two, damp bellies. guess im gonna need to change their bedding more frequently. Hay seems to hold more moisture than I previously thought. Brain storming what would work better (gonna try shavings) they are eating/drinking/pooping machines, clearly. All 25 are still alive.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They are gross little eating machines. [​IMG] When I did meaties, I had them inside for a few days then moved them out (I lived in FL at the time) with heat at night. They were on the ground (sandy soil) and I put large flaked pine shavings down and mixed in pine pellet horse stall bedding. The pellets expand when wet and clump so it is very easy to pick up wet sections. Thats what I'll do again if/when I get meaties.

5. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    We're in Florida too... Near Fort Lauderdale actually. It's normally warm here but we've had a nice breezy winter/spring here lol.

I NEED to go get bedding once my kids get up, the newspaper is already gross and I just laid it down! (Took gross hay out, put down newspaper temporarily)

Back with shavings :) babies are much dryer!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  6. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

day three with us (sunday), averaging 3oz!!

7. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    Day 4, drinking A LOT and not eating as much as I expected. All babies have wing feathers :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    hungry doxie
    [​IMG]

8. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    Noticing a lot of the babies panting.... Wondering what it means, if anything. Lots of stretching too... Wondering if the enclosure isn't warm enough :/

9. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Panting would be indication that they're too warm. As they grow, their bodies give off a tremendous amount of heat. For us, heat's a killer.

As for bedding, we use rice hulls down here. Pretty good stuff to soak up all the liquids that pass through them.

10. daviechik

Apr 13, 2012
    Yup, I moved the temp gauge and found it to be pretty high. I moved the lamp at more of an angle for them so it isn't giving off as much heat directly on them. You would think silly bird would move!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by