Our babies were so ANGRY tonight!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, May 20, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We got home a little later than I thought we would so it was after 'birdie bedtime' and the babies were so angry. [​IMG]

Our chicks are 5 weeks old and have started in the past week, squawking if I don't have their crate closed up by about 8:30 PM. It was WAY after 8:30 when we got home and I still had to change their bedding. I just got done around 9:40, so now they are in bed and are quiet, just a few cheaps.

I am not quite sure what we will do in the summer?? We go to the drive-in movies on the weekends during the summer time and we will leave before it is dark out but won't get home until around 11:00 PM. Should I make sure they are in their coop before we leave or just leave it open and hope they will go in when night falls??? They will be in an enclosed run.

2. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Mine go to be on their own now. They are about 7 weeks old.

You can just close up the coop when you get home if your run is nice and predator proof. Otherwise I would send them to bed early and secure coop.

3. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    That is so cute, I like what you called it "birdie bedtime". [​IMG]

Mine were a little bit upset with me today too. I am usually home during the day to talk
    to them and pay attention to them. But today I had to be on the run most of the day.
    When I finally got time to spend with them there were a little mad at me.

So cute, it will be lots of fun when they go outside and have to deal with a few
    schedule changes as things come up. It is amazing how dependent they
    get on a routine at such an early age.

I am glad to know that my chicks are normal when it comes to a dependable routine. [​IMG]

4. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I love the name 'birdie bedtime' too!

Mine are near 7 weeks old but still in a brooder. I'm a bit behind on finishing their coop. This afternoon we let them free range. They love being out, and it's usually hell to put them back. This last week or so, they've started congregate at the back arcadia door. It's making things easier.

5. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear you! If we are late getting home everyone is yelling, goats, chickens, horses even the dog.
    They are just letting you know it's no fun without you.

6. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    mine are trying to convince me that i've forgotten to turn on their outdoor light... maaad chickys! but, they need to learn to be without a light since they're moving into a big chicken's coop next week that will be without electricity... but, right now they are very [​IMG]

7. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I wish ours could go out and free range, but that is just too dangerous where we live.

Ours has been without a light for about 2 and a half weeks, the bulb blew out so we just never put one back in.

We too are behind on the coop with all the rain, so hopefully we will get it FINISHED on Sunday. It's suppose to be nice out.

8. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Ours free-range and go back inside at nightfall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by