Our baby chicks are coming tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by pollitos2013, Oct 21, 2013.

1. pollitos2013

pollitos2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our baby chicks are coming tomorrow! But not the ones I ordered. The Buff orpingtons didn't hatch so they are sending Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, and speckeled sussex. I am going out to the garage to turn on the light and get the water ready and everything. Oh, and the marbles too! I am so excited. Any advice?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Oh my!! I can feel your excitement - I still remember my little balls of fluff - now fully grown and bossy as hell![​IMG] So - safe roundish space-check; warm light, safe distance away-check; thermometer to check temp-check; paper towels & shavings-check; food,water & marbles-check.........sounds like you are ready to roll. Obviously you have been reading up on how to introduce them to food/water etc. the only minor issues I can remember was 'pasty-butt' - always a joy to clean 1st thing in the morning. I guess it's akin to being a 'human' momma....
    I think you will enjoy your girls, even if they're not Buffs. Enjoy & take lots of pix, Sue

3. pollitos2013

Omg it is snowing now and I cannot get the brooder temp in the garage higher than 65 F! Not warm enough by far. I built a brooder of thick cardboard with bales of hay around the outside for insulation but it is not getting warm! It is 4x5 ft maybe that was too big. They are coming tomorrow so I am going to start them in the house in a big plastic tub. I need to keep them safe from the cats so wish me luck.

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I used a large rubbermaid container, cut a hole in the top ,covered it with hardware cloth and hung the lamp over the hole. Got the idea from Sue Weavers' book. Perhaps move them out once they get some decent feathers and they are much larger, good luck!! I expect the snow will be here soon,[​IMG]Sue

5. pollitos2013

My plastic tub is too small so I built a third broooder of cardboard in the basement. Hooked up a light bulb and secured it in two places and now it is a perfect 95* under the light with lots of room for the waterer and feeder. Whew! Just in time. We are waiting for the post office to call...

Thanks for all the help - byc rocks!

6. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    I just got my chicks three weeks ago! They grow so fast! Be prepared; one day they're adorable balls of fluff, and the next they're ragged, half-feathered teenagers!

7. pollitos2013

Here they are![​IMG]

8. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    Aw! Sweet fluff!

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Uh oh!! I feel the need for some chicks coming on..................[​IMG] Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by