Our Backyard Chickens in East Africa Tanzania

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gerry913, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gerry913

gerry913 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Hi all, glad to find a forum with people that share my interest, I've been a chicken lover on and off for several years!

Here are a few pictures of our flock a mixed breed found here in Dar-es-salaam of the variety you guys would call Mutts!

[​IMG]

Our two junior roosters, we gave one away and the other was pretty mean to the chicks so he ended up in the cooking pot!

[​IMG]

Our second broody pullet with her chicks Whizz who got his name from whizzing away from the frame every time you want to take his picture! and Brown, who sadly passed away.

[​IMG]

Another picture of the late Brown..

[​IMG]

A picture of part of the nine (we had ten chicks from this brood, 1 died and 9 were left!) staring at some perceived threat in the sky!

[​IMG]

Sadly, this little chick was carried off by a crow before we could name it..

[​IMG]

A picture of a more grown up Whizz! At this stage he had been abandoned by his mum and left to fend for himself..

[​IMG]

Chokoraa (Urchin) The only survivor of a brood of seven, you saw a picture of her sibling that was carried of by a crow above..at this stage she had also been abandoned by her mum..

[​IMG]

Our broody pullet sitting on her second clutch of eggs, we also put in 3 eggs from a cross between our Red Sex Link hen and our patriarch rooster of which one hatched!

[​IMG]

Sticky the first chick to hatch at 19 days, the picture below will explain how he got his name!

[​IMG]

There, you can clearly see it on his head, a pattern of a stick man!

[​IMG]

Sticky and his siblings on day 20, you can see the little all yellow red sex link crossed chick who also hatched at 19 days in the picture.

[​IMG]

A picture of the brood in their new home, we decided to lock them up until they are fairly grown in an effort to prevent loss from disease and predation.

[​IMG]

Preparing for bedtime, the brood at 3 days old!

[​IMG]

Sticky and siblings at 2 weeks!

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Welcome to BYC! Great pics ~ thanks for sharing!

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Welcome!

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Did Wildsky tell you about BYC? [​IMG]

Nice chickens, and I don't care if they are mutts, they are still pretty.

And [​IMG] glad you found us.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    [​IMG]
    I love Sticky definitely agree that's the perfect name.

6. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Welcome to BYC!! I love your pictures!! Your little stickman chick is awesome!! [​IMG]

7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

WELCOME TO BYC!!!!! you are really gonna love this forum!!! and be prepared for addiction once you start surfing the site more...

Love the 'Sticky' chick. Could so see the stick man....
    Your birds look beautiful. Can't wait to see more pictures as they grow!!!! Do you have other animals too???? or just chickens??

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Welcome! Sticky has to be a very special chick to be marked with such a neat little design!

9. trinity

trinity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Amarillo Texas
    aww very cute mommy baby pics ..thanks for sharing

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I personally like mutts. I am one - Irish, Scottish, English, Norman, Dutch, German and who knows what else.

Welcome to the forum and please chime in with opinions and experience. You may add a different perspective that could help. I've worked on your continent, though not in East Africa, and enjoyed it. I've found people are people; we just have different experiences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by